Monday, September 12, 2011

Quilt Guild of Greater Houston Show Winner


My Quilt Guild show was last weekend. My bee effort won best of show! I was really excited to see that our group effort, an art quilt did so well. One of the members had the idea to cut up pieces of Peltex into a puzzle shape and we each selected a shape and a theme from Alice in Wonderland. I did the Cheshire Cat in the top/center of the quilt. The tree was needle punched into a home dec fabric and then fused to the Peltex. The leaves are made of thread - I started making thread lace but had too much fun to stop. The cat face was originally just sewn on but I was told it was disappearing which is what was planned for the Cheshire cat. I did paint in the eyes and mouth and that was an improvement. I also quilted the black background. Nancy Dickey assembled the puzzle pieces on the background - a huge project.

5 comments:

  1. Sara, congratulations to you and your Bee! This is truly a marvelous quilt! Thank you so much for posting the photo and telling us about this great achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! What a great idea for a group quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...what a fascinating concept, with a great result! Congratulations to you and your bee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Sara! I always love seeing these group quilts. They are fascinating because of the different personalities.

    That is why I am excited that we have this group going! Can't wait until the 15th to see all of our groups personalities shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project, Sara. Congratulations to you and your Bee on winning the award!

    ReplyDelete