Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sara' Surprise Quilt =Rockets Red Glare


Surprise was an amazing theme and I spent too much time pondering which idea I was going to follow up on. I thought of the wicked witch of the west being surprised by a house and also having a child play in a room with a butterfly quilt and watching as a butterfly comes to life. Instead I decided to portray the explosion of color and light during a fireworks display which always causes me to gasp with delight as I am surprised at the sound and colors that suddenly erupt.
This quilt also met my goal of trying out different techniques each month. One of my IQF purchases this year was glitter and glue. I used those plus the glitter and glue purchased at a previous show. I also added heat set crystals, something I had not used before. I quilted using Madeira FS thread that matched the background but added sparkle.

5 comments:

  1. It is so delightful to read how so many of us are trying out new techniques! Heat set crystals--is that similar to what Petra mentioned? Anyway, Sara, your quilt is stunning. I could almost hear the ooohs and ahhhs as the fireworks erupted! And where have I just read about Madeira thread? I am a total novice about thread; this group is teaching me so much! I will be Googling Madeira thread as soon as I leave here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, that bursting image is what says SURPRISE universally. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shimmering streamers of light are wonderful! What a super interpretation of the theme. The machine quilting accentuates it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara! I just love fireworks displays, and they are always indeed a surprise. What a clever theme. I don't know what heat set crystals are, but I love the result. Your quilt makes me feel like it's the 4th of July! Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, I have always wondered how to portray fireworks and you have done it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete