Meanwhile, for Judy W. primarily, but also as a reminder to all of us, here are the guidelines that the "steering committee" of Judy S., Rita S., and I came up with originally. These are still in place:
1. The quilts will be 12"x12" finished.
2. They will be "quilts" in the sense of being sandwiched with top, batting, and backing.
3. The quilt's edges will be finished, but the sky's the limit here. You can bind them conventionally, turn the backing to the front, turn the front to the back, zig zag or otherwise decoratively stitch the edges, or even be as "far out" as one of the original 12x12ers were and bind with flexible metal! Whatever you choose is fine, just so that the edges aren't left raw.
Oh, and the quilts will be truly "quilted"--but again, how and how much is up to you! Some of us will machine quilt, some will hand-quilt, some will do a combination. Anything goes here as well! Some may choose to add embellishments, others may not ever do this. All of this is up to the individual quilter!
4. The quilts will be based on themes, which might be either abstract or concrete, again as did the original 12x12 group.
5. We drew names for the order in which the themes will be chosen originally. New members have been added to the end of the list as they have joined the group.
6. We will have two months to complete our small quilts after the theme is announced.
7. Quilts will be "due" on the 15th day of a month. Our first quilt was due on September 15; the next one, on Nov. 15; and the third ones will be "revealed" on Jan. 15, 2012.
8. On the day we "reveal" our quilts (by posting on The Material Mavens blog), the quilter's whose turn it is to choose the theme will announce the next theme.
Here's our schedule, with Judy W. added:
(4) Judy S.: theme #4 on Jan. 15, 2012, for Mar. 15, 2012's quilt.
(5) Rita: theme #5 on Mar. 15, 2012, for May 15, 2012's quilt.
(6) Patti: theme #6 on May 15, 2012, for Jul. 15, 2012's quilt.
(7) Andrea: theme #7 on July 15, 2012, for Sept. 15, 2012's quilt.
(8) Alice: theme #8 on Sept. 15, 2012, for Nov. 15, 2012's quilt.
(9) Petra: theme #9 on Nov. 15, 2012, for Jan. 15, 2013's quilt.
(10) Barbara: theme #10 on Jan. 15, 2013, for Mar. 15, 2013's quilt.
(11) Kathy: theme #11 on Mar. 15, 2013, for May 15, 2013's quilt.
(12) Sara: theme #12 on May 15, 2013, for Jul. 15, 2013's quilt.
(13) Nedra: theme #13 on July 15, 2013, for Sept. 15, 2013's quilt.
(14) Judy W: theme #14 on Sept. 15, 2013, for Nov.15, 2013's quilt
Happy holidays, happy quilting, and we'll look forward to hearing from our second Judy, Judy W!