Sunday, January 15, 2012

Andrea's South


My first impression when the theme was posted was of Florida, the sun, hot bright colors and palm trees. I rejected those hoping to think of something less predictable that meant something to me. Many weeks and much angst later, I returned to my first impressions after seeing the drawing that my 7 yr. old great-nephew made of that "famous mouse" in anticipation of his first upcoming trip to Disney World. I borrowed his drawing to make a thermofax screen, which is subtly printed ( intentionally ) on the orange strip. The imagery of the postcard, postmarked from Palm Beach in 1919 was written by my grandfather to his 7 month old daughter, my mother, when he worked as a chauffeur for a woman in Geneva, N.Y.
All the images are screen printed using both thermofax and a "traditional" wooden-framed silkscreen, on my own hand-dyed fabric. The black & white stripe is a commercial fabric.

9 comments:

  1. Andrea, you captured Florida big time. Love the colors and your silkscreening and use of postcards and lettering and stamps. But I also enjoyed the backstory of the nephew. The execution of the ideas is graphically gorgeous. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto everything Linda says! I love how personal your quilt is and how fantastically it captures our theme. I can't say it any better than Linda does, so all I will say is ditto, ditto, ditto. Oh, I can add, I've GOT to learn to silk screen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you brought all the components together in one beautiful design. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad I was rechecking posts here because somehow I missed this one! I'm all about vibrant colors. I've only been to Florida once,(visited Epcot before it was completed)but can certainly relate to the hot colors and palms. Your printing methods are inspiring. I need another trip to Florida, it's 8º here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea - OH... Thermofax screens...one of my most favorite techniques in the whole world ! Loved your quilt, loved your story and your references to Florida. My daughter, her husband, and my 3 yr. old Grandson live in Sarasota, and I completely understood your comments about the Florida colors, and of course the proximity to Disneyworld. Great job, use of techniques, and color ! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, your colors definitely read South to me. The story behind it is wonderful! Glad you went with your sun, hot bright colors and palm trees. I've been hearing a lot about thermofax screen and even had an opportunity to try it, but the day didn't work out for me. I am interested to see what it is truly all about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrea. You are SO clever! I love the combination of colors, the postal stampings and the Mickey Mouse images. It clearly communicates Florida - down south. Great job! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this Andrea! Had to enlarge the photo to see all the nuances, which are wonderful. Beautifully evokes the feeling of southern climate and colors! Very artistic!!

    ReplyDelete