Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kathy's ELEMENT



It was so interesting to read the other MM postings and discover that so many of us had almost immediately thought of the same ways to describe "Element." The Periodic Chart of Chemical Elements came to mind right away - I even printed out a Chart and was trying to figure out how I could get the chart onto a 12" x 12" quilt. The TAPS (Transfer Artist Paper) process could be used, but I've already somewhat 'conquered' that method (well.... sort-of conquered it!) and I wanted to do something different this time. Back to Webster's Dictionary where, as Rita has already discussed, one of the definitions referenced the bread and wine of Holy Communion. I'm Roman Catholic, and my next quest for information took me to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) website that referred to "the consecration of the elements [bread and wine]" of Communion. With that definition in mind, my direction changed from Chemical to Liturgical !
My quilt is highly symbolic in that it uses the stylized wheat stalks to represent bread, and a large Communion 'host' (wafer) to represent the consecration of the bread into the Body of Christ. The lower portion of the quilt uses several sections of "grape-y" colored fabrics to represent the grapes that are converted into wine that will be consecrated into the Blood of Christ. If you could see that section up close, you'd notice several 'seeds' that have been encapsulated in blue tulle netting. The 'watery-type' metallic threads represent the waters that are necessary for the elements of wheat (bread) and grapes (wine) to grow into harvestable forms.
The third picture on this posting really has nothing at all to do with my little quilt.... I just wanted to share with all of you a beautiful pink rose that's blooming in our yard here in Central Texas. Welcome Spring and Thank You God for the beautiful elements you provide for us in all your wonderful ways.




11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, that is a beautiful abstraction with elegant quilting. I am envious of your ability to create such a moving piece. The seeds create some interesting faces which adds to the mystery.

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda - I finally see the faces.... Actually, how could I have missed them ! They remind me of porceline masks, the kinds used to illustrate tragedy and drama. Thanks for pointing them out to me :-)

      Delete
  2. After some color descriptions on this blog today, I'm questioning the settings on my computer? Your 'grape-y' colored fabrics look blue from my end but I know you do gorgeous work and love the wheat stalks especially. It's as though they are reaching up to God. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully executed quilt. I have been studying flowers all week in New Braunfels and I also like your bionis picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt, Kathy! A meticulous rendition of the liturgical elements! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very striking design! So simple yet meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! I love the symbolism, its simplicity, and the contrast in line and color. I am so struck with how many different "takes" we Mavens have for this word--just as we have for all of our themes. See you soon, hopefully, when I return to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy,
    Your quilt makes me relax. It is so soothing and makes me feel that we are being cared for in even the littlest ways. The grape seeds and the metallic threads give such neat interest to the lower part. I have always loved the wheat symbol. Your stylized wheat are wonderful! Did you stitch them using a satin stitch or are they couched on?
    You conveyed the message well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy - Thanks for your comments ! For the wheat stalks, I used a blue wash-away pen to sketch the lines of the stalks, then satin stitched with a narrow zig-zag, then restitched with a little bit wider zig-zag. The final stitching was to outline the stalks with Sulky Platinum-colored Holo-Shimmer thread.

      FOR ALL WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING, I'm the guest speaker at the Temple Quilt Guild (aka Wildflower Guild), on Tuesday night, March 20. My topic: THREADS ! Jam-packed program, hands-on samples of threads, and hand-outs from several top of the line thread companies. GUESTS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND :-)

      Delete
  8. Much thought has been put into your piece! Lovely interpretation of the theme; machine piecing adds beautiful texture.

    ReplyDelete