Monday, July 16, 2012

Dream Doodle


Finally, after a fun day with family, here is my Daydream quilt!  My quilts usually begin with a bit of dreaming and "what if"ing.  I was looking for something on a shelf and happened upon a large quilted practice piece done on my longarm.  It gave me an idea to try a technique that I have wanted to experiment with for a long time.  I cut a 12" square out of the piece and took it to my painting room (my garage!).  I found some leftover Pebeo Setacolor translucent pearl paint and mixed in a bit of turquoise.  I really like how the paint lets the quilting show through!  The rest was hand stitched with variegated hand dyed perle cotton thread.  I love this stitch!  I think it's called the rice stitch or chicken scratch.  I did a lot of daydreaming while stitching!  Do you think I can get away with using this quilt for Spiral too?!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Barbara! Your piece really does inspire me to try some of the techniques you used here. I have no practice pieces that are appropriate, but there would be nothing wrong with quilting a piece of fabric I love and then painting and embellishing it, as you have done! (Ever since seeing your work in person, I have fallen in love with embellishing quilts with hand embroidery.) And of course I can see why you ask the question about using it for our Spiral theme!!! I had the same thought about Nedra's actually--thinking , "Oh this one would have worked so beautifully for Spiral, too!" It was worth the wait to see yours this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, this is wonderful! It is so neat how you took a practice piece and made a new and unique quilt. Love the colors. They do translate the daydream feel as well as all your beautiful hand stitching. The paint really did enhance the quilting you did. Is that cotton thread you used when you machine quilted? Also did you brush or spray the paint on? Makes me start daydreaming about spirals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, You and I sure were on the same wavelength for this one!! Similar colors and shapes, just different techniques. I too thought I could use mine for the next reveal as well!! I love the effect the varigated thread gives to the spirals. This definitely looks like daydream doodling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt, Barbara. I am crazy about the colors. What a great way to take a practice piece and turn it into something fantastic. Your hand embroidery is outstanding. What an inspiration. Now I'm going to start dreaming about my soon-to-be spiral quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I great "re-purposed" quilt this is! I love spirals & swirls, as we now all know, so I immediately feel in love with your quilt. The addition of the large stitches adds so much texture and interest that I find to be visually very satisfying. Maybe my multitude of discarded "experimental" pieces have a chance at a second life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful art piece ! I loved that your practice piece found a new purpose in life and that you were able to incorporated so many different techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing the next challenge word, you must have wished you had access to a crystal ball. This is beautiful for daydream as well. I love to see the abstract posts as my brain just never goes there.

    ReplyDelete