Monday, July 16, 2012

Hi there,

I'm Wendy and I suppose I should introduce and tell you a little about myself. I guess I'll begin after college. At that time I was already married and had my oldest son, Aaron. I knew that I was going to stay home and raise my family, so working outside the home became a distant memory. That was in 1976.
I began quilting in the 80's and, like everyone else, was hooked immediately. I remember thinking what a cool job it must be to teach quilting as opposed to a classroom full of crazy kids. I took every class I could to "fill my toolbox" and a few years later I found myself teaching 3 to 4 nights a week. I absolutely loved this, but found that constantly coming up with new classes to please the masses, was sucking the creativity right out of me. The teaching went on for about 15 years. It was a great run and it allowed me to do the constant extreme travel we had to do with my youngest son, Ryan, with his tier 1 hockey. My kids are quite spread out.  The oldest is 36, a daughter in the middle and the youngest is 23. He just graduated from college and is back home in San Diego with a job!
Fast forward to 1997. I bought a gammil just to allow me to finish my own quilts, as I am convinced quilting on a home machine is like wrestling an alligator. As most longarmers know, friends come out of the woodwork to offer you their quilts to practice on. Soon I realized this would be my new job. I have been lucky enough to have a great business with a terrifically talented clientele for 15 years.
While I am still quilting for others, I am forcing myself to do more of my own art, both in textile and graphite/paint etc. I made a resolution a few years ago that I would learn something new every year and so far I have learned to play the piano, am learning a foreign language and am constantly going back to take classes in all mediums of art. My philosophy is "the more you know, the more you grow"
While giving a program at the guild, I made a comment that I would like to make quicker projects like 12" blocks.  Barbara talked to me about this group and I was all in. This is a first for me. My usual projects are very detailed, extremely complicated and excruciatingly time consuming. I love designing and drafting and my masterpieces quickly become monsterpieces. So, this 12" block challenge is going to be great for me, forcing me to make quicker decisions and simplify my ideas.
Thank you all for welcoming me into what promises to be a wonderful experience. I can't wait to produce my first project.
I am going to try and upload a picture of one of my latest quilts so that you can see what I like to do. No guarantees.

8 comments:

  1. What an asset you are going to be, Wendy, to the Material Mavens. I am awed and humbled by the two quilts you post as examples of your work! Wow, they are magnificent. I think that you will greatly enjoy doing little quilts that will take much less time. Many of us enjoy trying out new materials and techniques on these small 12x12" quilts. Barbara and I have met, since I travel frequently to California to visit my grandchildren in Newport Beach. Perhaps sometime soon I can get together with the two you you! I would love that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Wendy! What a wonderful quilting career you have built! I loved seeing your two magnificent quilts. You will be a great addition to The Material Mavens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW!!!! Can't wait to see more. And welcome to the group. It's soooo much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Wendy! I love your philosophy of "the more you know, the more you grow". I'm going to post the saying on my studio wall! I think you will enjoy your journey with us, as I know you will be a great addition to "The Mavens".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts are magnificent. The Samurai made me think of the title Quilt Warrior for some weird reason. ha. It will be fun to see how you condense such detail in a 12" block. :) Welcome the the Maven's. It's challenging, inspiring and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy - Welcome to the group and thanks so much for introducing yourself, your family, your work and 2 of your incredible quilts. I think you're going to enjoy the MMs.... we're an eclectic, enthusiastic, talented and hugely creative assembly of woman - you're going to fit right in !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to our little group. After seeing the two posted quilts, I cannot wait to see what you do with a small format. So happy to have you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, Glad you are joining our group. I too am excited to see what you do with our little format. It is quite freeing and fun. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete