I named my quilt Serendipity because I found the fabric for it serendipitously, while working on a batik wall hanging. I needed just a bit of yellow, so pulled the first yellow batik that came to hand from the Elfa drawer where I store my stash. I was delighted when I saw that it was adorned with spirals.
After cutting a 12.5” square of the fabric, I backed it with the polyester felt I prefer to use when I plan to use embroidery stitches for quilting. I outlined the spirals with a running stitch, using red Perle cotton thread.
That was not quite enough, though, and so then I spied—again rather serendipitously—the jar of old red buttons I had bought for $5 at a junk store in my town. I poured out the buttons, chose buttons that graduated in size from tiny to large, and then I arranged them on three of the spirals. I put a dot of fabric glue on each button to secure it, and then I sewed them down with yellow Perle cotton.
I had toyed briefly with using the traditional quilt block pattern known variously as Snail’s Trail or Virginia Reel for the front of my quilt this time. I then decided to use this traditional pattern for the backing. I found a red fabric printed with spirals, and so I used it and the yellow batik to make this block for the back. I used a pillowcase turn to finish the quilt.
|a close-up--my favorite button is #4 from the top of the|
spiral--I used it in two of the spirals