When this theme was announced, spiral designs danced through my head day and night. What fun this was going to be! I spent hours looking at scores of pictures of spirals in nature. Then I started drawing designs. My intent was to draw a complicated design that I would then translate into fabric. But alas, nothing seemed to suit me. So, I decided to just start cutting and assembling fabric. I backed my fabrics with Wonder Under and once cooled, removed the paper backing. Then I started building my design on relief paper. For the center of my design, I used a batik featuring a spiral design. Then I built the design from the center outward using batiks and hand-dyed fabrics. I played with the design until it was visually pleasing.
For me, the design mimics my idea of a meteorite particle swirling around in space. I had fun adding motion to the piece with machine quilting. I will use spirals again, but have since thought of a different way to achieve a more complex design!