Nedra’s Travel – Paris
Paris is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve seen and one of my favorites. I’ve been lucky enough to visit it 3 times so I quickly decided it would be the topic for travel.
I wanted to represent 3 iconic sights, the Eiffel Tower, the glass pyramid of the Louvre, and a Metro station sign. I started with stabilizer onto which I traced an outline of the 3 shapes. Using gray organza and placing it on top of the outlines, I stitched along the lines with a narrow satin stitch, filling in the grids and details. I carefully cut out each form from the organza, snipping very close to the edges.
Silk screening would have helped achieve the background I wanted but I’m not skilled at that and don’t have the equipment. So I attempted to achieve those effects using fabric and printer. I purchased the pink background fabric, cut a piece 8 ½ x 11 and ironed to freezer paper of the same size. I then used a calligraphy font and typed out Monmarte, Notre Dame, Tour Eiffel, Champs Elysees, etc. and then printed onto the fabric. Wonder under was fused to the back of the printed fabric and I cut out each of the words and phrases. Lining these up very carefully on the background fabric, I pinned in place. The white writing and images were cut from a fabric with a map of Paris on it and handled in the same way. Using a stencil I created the black letters and applied fusing to those.
When happy with the layout of the images, letters, and words I fused them in place. I then cut warm and natural in the shapes of the Eiffel Tower, pyramid and metro and fused to the stitched organza shapes. I pinned to the background and then satin stitched these once again along the perimeter of each to secure. The added batting gives a bit of dimension to the shapes. I fused the edges and used a decorative stitch to secure. I chose not to machine quilt this piece.
I had originally tried to include photos(courtesy of Andrea) and emphemera from a trip (that she and I took to the European Patchwork Meeting in 2010) with all of these elements on the front, but it just didn’t work. Sooo, I decided to make a reversible piece and put those on the back.
I found a pleasing layout and covered all with tulle and machine stitched carefully around the edges of each to secure. I made the mistake of ironing next and the dark black spot on the upper right side is a receipt that burned!! Ooops. Guess you can’t iron those even though I used a cover piece. I finished each 12 x 12 and then fused them back to back to create the reversible piece.