Greetings, Mavens ! Sorry for the early posting, but the next few days have morphed into a scheduling overload, so I'm posting early, to avoid being really late :-/
"Spirals" turned my brain inside-out. I thought I had my quilt all planned out until I actually started working on it - Yikes ! My studio's an absolute disaster right now - all those other discarded Spiral ideas lie scattered about on the floor, the tables, the sewing machine, etc.
To create this piece, I started with hand-dyed taupe-colored fabric, then dragged out bunches of surface-design products I hadn't used since I moved from Alaska over 2 years ago. Using Shiva Oil Paintsticks and 3 of the Shiva "rubbing plates" I transferred several spiral motifs on to the fabric using 3 colors of Paintsticks: Gold, Bronze, and Copper. Paintsticks are oil paints (in stick form), so the fabric had to be heat set to preserve the color. I dry-ironed the fabric, then threw it into the dryer to finish the process. After that, I gathered all of my spiral-type rubber stamps, stamp pads, inks, etc. and stamped images onto the fabric using whatever colors of ink that would complement the Paintstick colors.
To get the large spiral shape, I used an abstract spiral design fabric and transferred that image to my paintstick/stamped fabric. Then, using Foot # 21 ('Couching' or 'Cordonnet' foot) on my Bernina 185, I couched very heavy copper/bronze metallic thread (Madeira Glamour, #8 [very heavy, thick thread]) onto the transferred spiral image. My "couching" thread was Madeira smoke colored "monofilament" thread; I used that same thread in my bobbin.