Tuesday, January 15, 2013
I started this project by brain storming the topic with my husband. I knew the first thing I thought of was warp and weft and I wanted a different approach. He suggested families since our new family trees merge in every generation creating an interwoven family. I said "Wow, Trees". His response was - you just love tree imagery (I am guilty as charged - trees speak of life, strength and endurance). I thought more about trees relative to our theme and thought of how canopies of trees weave into each other in a dense forest. Then for some reason I thought of the central prayer of Judaism that states "The Lord is One" which some like to extend to thinking all of the creations are part of the one - we are all connected. I just had to do this image.
Execution gave me fits. I have added to the challenge by trying to use different technical approaches for each quilt. For this I dragged out a collage box and started layering upholstery fabrics on muslin and a gorgeous deep blue purple silk charmeuse swatch that I dyed in some class. One of my goals is to use up some of the bits and pieces of fabric that I've accumulated this way. I cut out foliage , sewed it down and put it on the wall and horrors - no contrast, no image, yuch. I then backed the whole thing with black craft felt and decided to see if thread could provide image rehabilitation - no joy. I was going to scrap the effort and start again but a fiber artist friend suggested I could cut stencil like shapes into the image and add contrasting edges. I decided to cut out the bulk of the background and put everything on another dyed sample that gradated from yellow to blue to add light and life to the image. This was a big improvement. Good thing I did not wait until the last day to get the quilt together! Another one of my goals is to par the general clutter in my life. This month I started with my bureau which is a big job. One of the things that I found stored with my socks was dyed cheese cloth that I bought from Ellen Anne Eddy. There were 2 pieces; one various shades of yellow green and one dark brown/black/green/blue. I went back to the studio to finish this piece up. I planned to add the green to the foliage but instead ended up accented the bark with the dark texture of the cheese cloth. I then ironed the new background onto fusible batting with the tree elements, added a backing and much more stitch to make sure every element is attached and the piece is well quilted. I decided this one needed a traditional binding in dark brown.
The picture needs some work - Houston hasn't seen sun light in what seems like weeks so this is pinned to my design wall and I attempted straightening in Picassa