Monday, July 15, 2013

Alice's Cell Quilt--Honeycomb





My cell quilt is a collage of “things bee-related.”  The octagonal cells in a honeycomb connect it to the theme.

One of my aims in being in this art-quilt group is to try new materials and techniques.  This time, I tried quite a few: (1) thread painting (the bees bodies and wings); (2) stenciling (the bees and the rejected background, now on the quilt's back; (3) thread painting (the bodies and the wings of the bees); (4) an embroidery stitch that was new to me, the seed stitch (on the background); (5) transferring images with TAP

Two of these techniques resulted in my two favorite parts of my quilt:  the dimensional bees’ wings and the black flowers.  I learned how to make the bees’ wings from a book by Karen Kay Buckley called Applique Basics and Flower Wreaths.   I had long ago read about making stamps from craft foam.  I cut the flowers out free-hand, peeled the backing from the foam, and attached them to transparency film cut to size.

I free-motion quilted the black flowers.  Embroidery stitching on the bee hive, a few outlined cells on the honeycomb, and the seed stitches in the background served as additional quilting.  The background fabric is a subtle honeycomb print that also forms the binding.

I first tried a honeycomb stencil for my background, but it didn’t look authentic to me.  Hating to “waste” this stenciling on yellow silk, however, I ended up putting it on the back of my quilt.  I couldn’t resist printing off a few lines of the Jimmie Rodgers’ song “Honeycomb” that ran maddeningly through my head every time I worked on my quilted collage!


The back of my Honeycomb quilt









15 comments:

  1. Beautiful composition Alice! I love how you used so many new techniques and incorporated everything bee related! And the back is another art quilt as well! Great job! I wanted to add more bee related things to mine but decided to focus on the cell and bee alone. Yes, great minds . . . I soooo wanted to look at your posting when I saw it in draft form over a week ago to see how you interepreted it, but resisted until this morning!! Love Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nedra, I, too, have been tempted to "look early" but always manage to control my temptation, since Reveal Day is so fun and exciting. I love yours just the way it is, and I am so glad that you didn't clutter it up with more. I think it is interesting to see a pure and simple version next to an admittedly cluttered one!

      Delete
  2. Well, I'll bee darned! Two honeycomb/bee themes - you two must be really sweet :)
    Nice rendition too Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this study in materials and methods. I need to re read. I like the limited use of color when incorporating a number of elements.You inspire me to try more printing and free motion and embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, first of all your quilt is not cluttered, just a very different way of expressing your vision of honeycomb cells! I'm really enjoying looking at all of the elements in your collage. You "pulled off" these new techniques beautifully...both on the front and back! Great interpretation. That IS an annoying little song, isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice interpretation, Alice. I love that you tried so many new things, and that you shared them with us. Honeycombs are a great way to interpret the word, cell! Hooray for trying free-motion quilting. As you know, I am also struggling with learning how to control that challenging quilting method! BUT, we must remember that trying new quilting techniques helps to enliven our brain cells!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly a sweet quilt! I'm impressed with your handmade flower stamps. That had to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the bee wings in person. Glad you used the silk fabric on the back, it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your quilt. So inspring that you tried so many new techniques. I have to put that as more of a priority. I love the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice I'm so impressed with all the methods you incorporated to challenge yourself... which I should and could do if I didn't procrastinate so much. :/ Obviously you allow yourself enough time to play with our themes and I'm always delighted to see your challenge pieces. This one balances a nice mix of texture, contrast and interest. Goodonya :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice - I love it - great interpretation in a way I never thought of - and yet 2 of us did. I love the way you experimented with techniques and the 2 compositions in 1 quilt that you created using both sides. Hope you take this one to Houston in the fall, I did not sign up for Thursday afternoon or Friday classes - not missing y'all this time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Sara! Carolyn and I are signed up for a class with Kaffe Fassett, but we will definitely plan a MM Reunion, and this time, we'll have some from "far afield"--as in Massachusetts!--so it will be really, really fun and festive!

      Delete
  10. Sara, we just signed up for a Thursday all day class with Kaffe! Join us!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. After seeing this little quilt in person last night at Guild, the photo certainly does not do it justice! It is wonderful. And I must ask, did printing the song for the back get it out of your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not, Rita! Not only that, but every time I come back to the blog got a visit, that song starts up again! I've got to come up with another, more pleasing, tune to take its place1 Hmm, something with GREEN in it????

      Delete
  12. Alice, As always another amazing solution Love the back as well. Great color palate. Love the layering effect. Adds a lot of depth to the piece. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete