My cell quilt is a collage of “things bee-related.” The octagonal cells in a honeycomb connect it to the theme.
One of my aims in being in this art-quilt group is to try new materials and techniques. This time, I tried quite a few: (1) thread painting (the bees bodies and wings); (2) stenciling (the bees and the rejected background, now on the quilt's back; (3) thread painting (the bodies and the wings of the bees); (4) an embroidery stitch that was new to me, the seed stitch (on the background); (5) transferring images with TAP.
Two of these techniques resulted in my two favorite parts of my quilt: the dimensional bees’ wings and the black flowers. I learned how to make the bees’ wings from a book by Karen Kay Buckley called Applique Basics and Flower Wreaths. I had long ago read about making stamps from craft foam. I cut the flowers out free-hand, peeled the backing from the foam, and attached them to transparency film cut to size.
I free-motion quilted the black flowers. Embroidery stitching on the bee hive, a few outlined cells on the honeycomb, and the seed stitches in the background served as additional quilting. The background fabric is a subtle honeycomb print that also forms the binding.
I first tried a honeycomb stencil for my background, but it didn’t look authentic to me. Hating to “waste” this stenciling on yellow silk, however, I ended up putting it on the back of my quilt. I couldn’t resist printing off a few lines of the Jimmie Rodgers’ song “Honeycomb” that ran maddeningly through my head every time I worked on my quilted collage!
|The back of my Honeycomb quilt|