Monday, July 15, 2013

Andrea's CELL

Some of My 100 Trillion Cells: All Purple


Initially I was working with a concept of depicting cell phones in a prison cell, which gave me great pleasure thinking about, but after viewing images of the human cell online, decided to work with my vision of what some of my own cells might look like.  Many of the online images reminded me of my snow-dyed fabric so I then began to think about fusing circles on top of a piece of my purple emersion-dyed fabric.  That seemed a bit too stark, so then started screening words and circles on the background.  While in the process of screening, my "little grey cells" were at work thinking about and ultimately rejecting fused circles for ones pieced using the "Six Minute Circle" method by Dale Fleming.  I saw her demonstrate her method on Simply Quilts a few years ago and have wanted to try it ever since.  Although my circles took more like 20 minutes, I love the technique and how forgiving the stitching can be, yet produce a visually perfect pieced circle.  When my seven "cells" were completed I then quilted more circles using a variegated 12wt. Sulky cotton thread ( for some reason, my practice circles were evenly stitched, but not so on my quilt, which was very disappointing ).  I then thought I was done, but NO!  When I viewed from a little distance it looked rather flat, so out came the beads.  Well, I have never beaded on fabric before and did not realize how long the process takes!  The first circle, on the lower, right took more than 4 hours to bead.  I still look at it and wonder why.  Once I made the decision to bead, I thought that all seven cells would require beads, but happily after completing the third in the upper right realized that any more would actually be too much.  With great relief I could then put on the binding and consider the piece done.


back view of "Six Minute Circle" construction



close-up of beads and screened background 

14 comments:

  1. NICE! And so purple, very you. I would like to see you do a demo of those circles :) I will come by to see you do this and other things we do when I get more time to goof around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely, Andrea! You are right--the beading you did is just enough. More would have been, as Mother used to say "gilding the lily."
    And thanks so very much for showing that construction photo! I want to try this method very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Carol. We in New England should gather together as those in Texas do, in order to see your fine demos! I find this so beautiful and I must start paying a lot more attention to Mother Nature and her offerings. I can't believe I never thought of cell phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we in N.E. should get together to "play" sometime in the near future...maybe after the Mancuso show in August, as it is always so inspiring? That will also give me some time to "clean up" my studio should we decide to meet there!

      Delete
  4. Yep, they would be purple!!! Love it!!! Never heard of the 6 minute circle but looks like a great way to make them. Beautiful layered look is awesome and the beads the right finishing touch and I agree, more would have been overkill.
    Stunning and one of your best yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very lovely quilt, Andrea. Love the all purple choice, the circle technique and your beading, which was just the right touch! A very beautiful 12' x 12'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize there were words on the background. They are the perfect texture. Awesome circles too! Ugh, beading. I love the look, but don't like the slow process of adding them. I'm glad you added the beads even though they took so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea you cracked me up with your comments about beading! Especially the question "why". Ha. Now you can say you did, and oh, the result is so lovely, textural and appealing. I originally planned a heavily beaded concept on my own piece but time was a factor (I procrastinated too long), and thankfully I found a quicker concept. Glad to see you followed through on yours because it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....trust me Judy, if I could quilt like you, I would have dumped those pesky little beads in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  9. Well, of course your cells would be purple!
    I love this - every aspect of it! Your beading is perfect - I'm sure you're looking forward now to beading a king-sized quilt!! If I didn't know the theme, I would love it as a beautiful abstract design. Love all of your fabrics and surface design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your circles and wish I could see you do them. The beads are perfect here and I'm glad you added them. I think I may pull mine out regardless of husband asking me to not do so ! (He may have been thinking about how long it takes)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful!! Love the color and love the beadwork. This type A person loves doing that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What amazing beadwork. Love it. The colors and complexity are awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete