Under the Microscope began with a Google image search of the word Cell. There were soooo many images of human, animal, plant and I can't remember what else! I used my memory to create these not so real cells.
I began cutting batting shapes for each cell followed by playing with fabrics that reminded me of the cell images. All the fabrics are raw edge (no fusible) and stitched by hand with # 8 perle cotton through the batting circle shape only. I had help from my husband and daughter to arrange the cells on thick gray felt (the background). Each cell is stitched to the felt and I added stitching on the felt to add interest. There is no batting or backing behind the felt and no binding. The squiggly green shape on the yellow cell is a handmade felt stem that I made in a wet felting class.
I had the most fun finding the fabrics and doing the hand stitching!