Sunday, September 15, 2013

Linda's GREEN SCRUB

     Summer vanished. People came and went; and people returned to stay. In the meantime, I had to PAY for summers as a teen, playing golf and swimming in sunny Texas without using the lifeguard's zinc protection on the nose. It was the 50's, of course, minus the vast information about sunscreen protection we have today.


     This August I had some MOHS minimal surgery to make repairs, to stem possible damage to my nose. The good thing was it provided me a topic for my Material Mavens challenge: GREEN. All I could think of was money and grass, but nothing personal. I usually like an emotional connection, as in a journal notation, and an edge to create a piece of art. When I hit the surgeon's office, there were GREEN SCRUBS all around with purple accessories. I was excited to finally have a topic!

       I have used this excellent surgeon in the past. But before beauty there are some ghastly appearances such as swollen jowls and purple flesh. I won't show the big bandages that I crafted out of brown paper tape every morn to cover the wounds. I had neat stitches down one side and a beaded circle to heal by itself on the other. If I added the tape you couldn't see what I am illustrating. The jowls are padded, the stitches shown with bead and thread, and waves mimic my nerves. On the backside, I embroidered a hypodermic needle outline to stand for the interminable shots of lidocaine, the bubbles for one! Also, there is a clock to symbolize the 8 to 5 I was in the surgeon's office. I believe in humor to deal with most problems.

13 comments:

  1. loistheartistSeptember 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

    Humor is always the best way to deal with things in my experience. I'm glad you are feeling better, and the purple is gone. This is hysterical, love the scrubs and just the whole concept. Fun quilt! and we are all glad you are on the mend................

    ReplyDelete
  2. loistheartistSeptember 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

    Humor is always the best way to deal with things in my experience. I'm glad you are feeling better, and the purple is gone. This is hysterical, love the scrubs and just the whole concept. Fun quilt! and we are all glad you are on the mend................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Linda, you always have a unique perspective on the themes and once again come through! This is very funny and the expression you've created is wonderful. I'm sorry for the surgical experience you had to go through to find your inspiration for green but I'm glad you found humour in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As another uninformed sun worshiper of the 50's, and with my freckled fair complexion, I feel your pain. Thank you for adding humor to a very serious issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! Even though purple is my favorite color, I'm so glad that you chose not to include! Also glad that you were able to find the humorous side to your surgery and be inspired by all the green scrubs in the hospital! I imagine that this is exactly how you felt for awhile...all green! Just love how you have depicted your temporary self portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, you are a master at personalizing your quilts! I love the way you can take what is going on in your life and then take our current theme and connect the two. How fortuitous was it that you saw those green scrubs and thought about our theme this time! As all have mentioned, the humor you inject into our postings this time with your quilt is refreshing and so welcome! Can you go back into your post to edit and post a picture of the back of your quilt? I think all would love to see that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt! I'm glad you are including your wonderful painting style in your quilt.
    All the symbolism makes your piece so interesting. I too want to see the back of the quilt. It sounds like it is just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very painful experience developed into a fun and interesting quilt with a good story.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, this is SO funny. I'm an RN and worked for some time in a dermatology group practice - so I totally get the picture! This made me roar with laughter until tears were rolling down my cheeks. I think you should give this to the MOHS surgeon to hang in his office! Thanks so much for this very clever quilt - it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of grass were you thinking of (wink). I loved it, I too life guarded in the seventies without sunscreen and get to look at the results every time I look in the mirror. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt made me laugh and cry. You did a great job telling the story and I totally love the stitch work on the nose. Hope the healing progressed well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that nose! The bags under the eyes are great. Purple is the perfect color. Then the needle, stitches and spool of thread. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda your quilt is clever and super creative which is believe directly relates to the emotional inspiration that inspired it. I've often heard that artistic successes are a result of emotional connection between the creator and the viewer. Your story explains this concept beautifully and I thank you for sharing it. Speedy recovery and future success in all your creative endeavors.

    ReplyDelete