Sunday, September 15, 2013

Nedra's Green - An Amazonian Jungle




Despite choosing the theme, I spent a lot of time on what I would choose to represent "green".   Green houses, green thumbs, green sleeves and green doors were some of my first ideas.  While perusing quotations using the word green, I came across this one from author Ed McBain: "eyes as deeply green as an amazonian jungle".  I immediately imagined lush green foliage with an eye peering through and I set out to portray this scene.

My background was made by fusing mottled green batik rectangles randomly on top of a leafy green batik.  I was inspired by Gloria Loughman's technique to create backgrounds as in her book Radiant Landscapes and used a modified version.  I created the eye by fusing a green batik for the iris and black pupil onto the white eye.  Green tuille was used to soften the brightness of the white and I then stitched the eye to the background.  I machine quilted flecks of lime green with stitching in the iris and added some beads for sparkle. Navy tuille was used to create an eyelid and lashes were machine stitched with black thread, then enhanced with pigma pens.  The background was then layered with batting and backing and machine quilted using a serpentine stitch. A few leaves of organza were stitched on top of the background just above and below the eye which are more visible in the close-up.  

I like the effect of the organza leaves on top of the background and plan to use this technique as well as the background process again.  The quilted background was then wrapped around a wooden frame. 

Ok, this is where the jungle took on a life of its own!!!  In order for the eye to "peek" out, foliage had to be added.  Leaves of light and dark green were fashioned using batiks and fusible interfacing and then veins were machine stitched.  Real branches were added and attached with hand stitching and vines of fabric covered twine were wrapped around them.  I then added the leaves and loosely tacked those to the background so they remained as three dimensional as possible.    

I had a LOT of fun with this theme.  I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

11 comments:

  1. I can tell that you had fun! I am in awe of all the various techniques that you used. And I am awestruck, too, by the spectacular results. I want to know more about so much of what you've done here. There's too much here for me to comment on everything, but I know for sure I'm going to look to this quilt's construction methods as springboards for future quilts of my own. I love how we are learning so much from one another! And to start with, I'm going to order that book you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the twigs and the three-dimensional leaves and the overall look of your art. It says, "Green"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go to the amazon and I think you have captured the feeling perfectly. Lots going on, and it all works so nicely together. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw this I immediately thought of Jurassic Park! The feel of the piece is great, techniques are interesting - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you used this quote! Your 3 - D leaves are fabulous, as is the addition of the real branch. This is one that I would love to see in person sometime as there are lots of details that I would like to enjoy "up close & personal". Thank you for choosing a really fun theme. It is interesting how many of us included 3-D elements this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what depth, Nedra! I love starting with the line of a poem and your sharing the book title Radiant Landscapes. I must check to see if I have it :*)!!! As for the poem, I just read at a blog, "in art, only emotion endures." You have given us a kickstart idea, but more importantly, an exquisite piece. I am off to find more poetry to get started when I am blocked. Would beat surgery!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Nedra, I have green eyes, so I find this piece particularly appealing. The addition of the actual twigs and the 3 dimensional leaves add so much to the quilt's dimension, as does the soft touch of the organza leaves. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic quilt! The colors, composition, and 3D effects are superb. Your quilt really draws me in and I want to see it up close in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree with all of the above - I would love to see this close up. I really like the way you developed the theme starting with the quote. I love the dimension you added in so many ways

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hands down this this piece is my favorite in the green theme! Your dimensional applications add distinct separation between foreground and background. The focal point (eye) is so beautifully balanced with everything else that demands attention in such a small area. I could 'eye' this piece all day. Wonderful Nedra! And thanks again for a very successful and inspiring theme word.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nedra, thanks so much for this challenge word. You really came up with a winning combination of techniques. Wow, using real branches! I love the dimension! Whose eye is peering out at us?

    ReplyDelete