Saturday, March 15, 2014

LOIS' TRANSLATE QUILT


Bob and I were on a trip to South Africa this past December.  We happened to be there during the funeral of Nelson Mandela.  There were journalists everywhere from all parts of the world. We saw them translate between languages and cultural differences.  I realized that a direct translation of language from one to another would not necessarily give you the real story of what was going on. There were so many nuances in speech and use of words that were different than my initial assumptions when hearing someone speak about their beloved leader and healer.  I snapped this picture on my trip and so I decided to print it from my computer on using June Taylor inkjet fabric sheets.  I appliqued it on. Then  took some of the batik fabrics that I bought in Africa and used them in my design.  I also incorporated some hand dyed silk ribbons that I made during a class at the Houston Quilt show,  I did some thread painting as well as some embroidery stitches on my machine.  The photo was so strong that I decided a lot of embellishment would not work. It was a fun theme!


10 comments:

  1. What a striking quilt, Lois! Your trip was the perfect opportunity to use our theme word in a quilt. I agree that more embellishment would have detracted from the strong image, but I do love the use of the fabrics bought in Africa and also the ribbons you hand-dyed in Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Lois! Love everything you did on this quilt - the photo, the fabrics and the ribbons! A wonderful tribute to Mandela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a striking image. I love the binding and the ribbons. Your work is always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny…this is the second quilt (so far) that I have wanted to use the same word ( striking ) that others have already used, but that was my first impression!
    I love all of your very strong diagonal lines, which I think is one reason why your quilt is so striking!
    Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving piece, great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one little quilt portrays so much emotion. What a wonderful way to depict that experience. Your quilt really draws me in. There is great balance and depth that makes me want to continue looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You created quite a successful keepsake here. Great composition, balance and use of color - just the perfect amount of embellishment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great little quilt. Being in a foreign land during a huge event and understanding how the people respond, is special. But being able to express that in a quilt is more than special. Have you considered making a large quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes - I have so much stuff from the trip that would make an amazing quilt. Especially a trip to Robbins Island where he was imprisoned. It's on my long list!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete