Saturday, March 15, 2014

Nedra's Translate -Laughing Out Loud




Having spent MANY hours on the previous 3 themes, my goal for this one was to be quick and easy.  And it was.  More time was spent on its inception though, as I found this theme quite challenging and was unable to choose which way to go with the theme.  Once I decided that I often need to translate the multitude of texting abbreviations in order to keep up with my kids and friends on facebook and other social media,  I was finished in about 2 hours!!!

In keeping with my image of the saying, I sketched my cartoon figure and translated it into fabric with bright colored choices to make it whimsical.  I phones with other text abbreviations were added for contrast.

I'm really not that savvy and do need help to translate these abbreviations.  For years, I never understood what the name of the rock group, LMFAO was all about.   One day, a lightbulb finally went off in my brain and I texted my daughter and asked if it meant "laughing my fat ass off".  She laughed and said well, you've almost got it right. I'm sure you can guess what the F really stands for. 


LOL is fused, machine stitched and machine quilted.





10 comments:

  1. Nedra It's so clever and whimsical Love the colors and compostition. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nedra! Your quilt made me, if not LAUGH, it certainly brought a big smile to my face! What a super way to interpret this theme! I agree with Lois that the colors and composition are super, and I love your cartooning ability! Now for a confession on MY part: for ages I thought LOL meant Lots of Love! Then I kept seeing it used where that wouldn't make sense, and finally, gradually, I figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nedra. This is such a FUN quilt. I have grandkids that use all those abbreviations, although I have never seen the LAMFO. Now I'll be on the lookout for it! Thanks for this very clever quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice I am so glad you said that LOL means Lots of Love. I thought that also for a long time. My kids would laugh at me. Nedra, This is very clever and fun. Texting has certainly changed our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to express translate and SO 21st century! Very clever, and even though the meaning of LOL did not stump me, most other texting abbreviations do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nedra, I think your caricature is a hoot! Good translation - texting is hard - I have a little dictionary my kids gave me for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I am not fluent in texting, but most of those who I text with don't use them anyway. I guess I will stay in the dark ages for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me smile and feel better about my ignorance. I thought for the longest time LOL meant lots of luck. I have come to realize I will probably remain in the dark ages with no hope of ever getting out. Even the TV commercials most often do not make sense to me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IMHO - this quilt is super - I love the composition and color that keep my eyes bouncing around the piece but also really enjoy the smiles it creates. I sometimes google acronyms and sometimes I find it was better to be in the dark :>

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like Sara. Sometimes I don't want to know the meaning...
    The quilt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete