Thursday, May 15, 2014

Barbara's quilt--Looks Like Spring to Me!

I made this quilt in the Reyna Gillman technique and was sharing it with quilt critique group friends.  I was complaining that I didn't have an idea for my Spring challenge quilt when someone said "This looks like spring to me!"  Well I love when that happens!  I machine quilted in the ditch to stabilize the piece and did some hand embroidery with Perle Cotton in a few strategic places.

Sorry this is late in the day, but, it's still the 15th and I've been watching the news of the fires here in San Diego.  Nothing close to me but it's been scary with the heat and the strong winds!


9 comments:

  1. I think it is beautiful, I am also watching the fires. My son lives in Mission Viejo at the edge of the forest. We will pray for your safety and everyone else caught up in this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I read about the fires in this morning's paper and immediately thought of you! So glad that you are okay! How serendipitous that this project of yours "works" for our theme this time. Your quilting group friend steered you right! These colors are lovely and springlike, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your group. This does look like the freshness of spring. That one strip that has the round design almost looks like a turtle crossing the space. The way you put these colors together is very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - this DOES look like spring. We were driving along a street yesterday and all of the green colors have just popped up in Dallas due to late spring rains. Your quilt reminds me of all the various greens we saw on our way. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt. The colors are so lively. I just heard rayan speak and read her book. I can't wait to try her technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous spring colors, Leaves and freshness that reminds me of spring growth. Looks like spring to me too!!! Lovely solutions to the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt ! Rayna Gilman is one of my favorite art / mixed media artists, and your use of her technique(s) is absolutely perfect ! This piece portrays "Spring" wonderfully :-D
    My sister and her 2 boys live in San Diego... we keep all of you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Spring to me too! I love this type of piecing. I hope you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Rayna Gilman's techniques…fun "spring-y" quilt!

    ReplyDelete