Wow ! What exciting adventure this has been ! New Theme and a new Format ! I spent quite a bit of time thinking about how I wanted to portray "Contrast" and finally decided that: #1 I would make no new purchases; I'd only use things I already had in my Studio; and #2 I would include fabrics that are Organic, fabrics that are Glamorous, and fabrics that would complement the organic and glamorous theme.
The picture below shows the black floral fabric I used for the backing and the binding. The yellow fabric with the small black "bubble" circles was used as the sub-strate for the "glamorous" fabric that's a sheer olive green / bronze poly blend with beautiful gold 'beads' that were commercially attached. The 'organic' fabric on the bottom right is fabric that I "rust-dyed" here in Texas, using bits and pieces of rusty-stuff I found in the fields around our home in Texas and when I lived in Anchorage, Alaska.
Keeping with my organic & glamorous theme, I found pictures of the beautiful flowers in a book that used Art Deco designs from 1938. I made 'patterns' of the flowers using my "Light Tracer" light box which made tracing the flowers a breeze ! I layered the backing fabric and batting, then used "Misty Fuse" to attach the sub-strate and glamorous fabrics to each other. After pinning all 4 layers together, I machine appliqued the flowers through all layers of fabric. Holo-Shimmer threads by Sulky were used to applique the flowers and to create the stems and leaves of the flowers. (When using any of the metallic threads, I always use a Metallica needle, and "Sewers Aid" to lubricate the thread which helps make the thread more manageable !)
And then my most favorite part of the process.... the quilting ! Taking my lead from the yellow / black fabric, I free-motion quilted hundreds of "bubbles" around the flowers, being very careful not to hit any of the gold beads with my needle. Are they bubbles ? Is it the morning mist ? Is it the dew and the stars in the twilight hours ?
Since this is an Art Quilt and won't ever see the inside of a washing machine or dryer, I tried something entirely new (to me) for the binding. I cut the binding strips using a standard rotary cutter for one side of the strips, and a wavy-edge rotary cutter for the other side of the strips. I sewed the "regular cut" side strips to the front /side of the quilt, then turned the wavy-edge sides of each strip to the back of the quilt, then pressed / ironed them into place using "Heat n Bond Hem" iron-on adhesive. This same process was used to attach the top and bottom binding strips. And voila ! my bindings were finished :-D
I also used Heat n Bond Hem adhesive to attach the hanging sleeve / label.