I Just Couldn't Resist
11 x 14
glue resist fabric, hand-dyed 100% cotton, machine pieced, fused,
I never intended to design another circle quilt for my Pun, but my muse sent me in that direction. I will admit that I had trouble coming up with any pun concepts that I really wanted to work with. This quilt is the result of my third idea. With the deadline looming, I had to begin with something, so started to construct my second idea. After a two day struggle, I was looking online and saw the word "resist" and thought OK, this is something that I can have fun with!
Many years ago when I first started using fiber-reactive dyes, I created some resist fabrics, a surface design technique, using a product called Presist and thickened dyes. I looked though the fabrics that I had made and was disappointed because none of them "spoke" to me. When I realized I would not have enough time to make more fabric using those products, I remembered that I had read about using Elmer's School glue as a resist.
It was suggested that the fabric be stretched on some type of frame so that it would not come in contact with another surface while drying. The first thing I thought of was an embroidery hoop, which worked very well. I applied the glue to a piece of my snow-dyed fabric in a squiggle pattern and let it dry overnight. Once completely dried I sprayed it with a diluted black acrylic paint. I ended up wanting to use the entire circle instead of cutting it up as I originally thought I would do. I pieced the circle ( I actually made five circles ) into a hand-dyed fabric with a color shift from purple to magenta.
Wet glue on snow-dyed fabric
Design wall with resist circle fabrics.