Friday, April 15, 2016

Karen's Doodle Quilt--Doodleleaf

                               




I always liked the look of "doodles"! I have many books on Zentangle but never put it to fabric. I drew 4 different pictures before I came back to what I like to create with fabric. Leaves. I used
a  hand-dyed fabric by Mary Walter. (Who happens to be a good friend of mine and so I'm lucky to be able to own many of her great fabrics!)  I used Mettler cotton thread 50wt in Hunter Green. If I wanted a thicker look I used a small zig-zag with free motion. The background quilting was done with YLI monofilament thread.
 My favorite part of this is the veins. Which inspired me to begin a large leaf full of vein work.  This is the drawing I started with.

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you had great fun "translating" your doodle from drawing to fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, lovely! You're another of out group who has mastered free motion quilting to the nth degree, and the simplicity of the design but the intricacy of the stitching produced a striking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple design but such detailed stitching. The backgroung stitching complements the intricate inside the leaf stitching nicely. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of your leaf Karen, although the machine stitching is certainly advanced! What a lovely dyed fabric from your friend. And the stitching on the background - NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I just love your leaf. The veins are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Rita: – The stitching is wonderful. I noticed that the final product is somewhat different from the initial drawing. Being a Longarm quilter, that happens to me all the time. With the machine running, the creative muse takes over and it is always good. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah ! Another Zentangle-er among the MMs ! Karen, you did a really great job on your quilt, and I love that you incorporated so many recognizable Tangles in this piece. Great too that you used a small zig-zag stitch to emphasize some of the design lines ! Thanks, too for including a picture of your original sketch... Loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting patterns. Lovely stitching and elegant leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful job translating the doodle to a quilt - the stitching is wonderful

    ReplyDelete