Sunday, October 15, 2017

Sara's Reach Quilr


This theme was a bit of a challenge for me. I usually like to think of several approaches and make sure I don't go with the first three ideas. Unfortunately, I only could think of one idea and I did not like that idea!

This summer my friend came over to use my embroidery machine. While we were waiting on an embroidery completion she asked if we could organize my work room. No argument from me - we are not done but things are much tidier. In the process I found a very old screen print sample - I think it was done with a crayoned resist and some rather thick paint. I hung it in the corner of my design wall.

While thinking about the theme, I looked up and saw my little screen print. I thought about how I always seem to want to extend my own reach. I seem to always be taking classes and going to lectures on fiber arts as well as other topics. I decided my that my screen printed birds are flying off to reach a goal and that I should combine them with a variety of swatches I created in classes. Last March, I was lucky to be in a class with Leslie Tucker Jenison where we created all sorts of fun printed and colored textures on fabric and paper. We collaged the results onto a base using Misty Fuse. I enjoyed this way of working - I believe the stripes were created in that workshop using a gelli plate. The light blue fabric seems to be dyed silk from a workshop long ago. The green fabric may have been a wipe cloth from a dyeing or painting experiment. I added some couched needlepoint thread to two sides.

Hence I have an image of birds reaching off to the sky and me reaching off to constantly increase my skill set rolled in to one (and as a side benefit, a little completed quilt is so much more visually satisfying over random swatches and samples!)

9 comments:

  1. Dear Sara, one thing I've learned about your through our years of friendship--starting with a workshop at Quilting Adventures--and that is that truly you are always reaching and stretching yourself! You take more workshops and classes than any other quilter I know. So, in truth, this theme word was appropriate for you! And I believe that your quilt captures YOU and the theme wonderfully well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you read my mind like that? We seem to have the same thought processes. Scary. I do love the way you used elements from past classes to follow the theme. Classes are a way of reaching beyond what we already know. I am a total Leslie Jenison fan. I brought her to our guild. She's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your piece really tells your story and it is so fun to see how you used those pieces from classes to make this a little quilt that will remind you why you take the classes that you do. I really like the movement the birds add to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I love the fact that you were able to use things in your stash to come up with a terrific 'Reach' quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, you amaze me with your desire to stretch your mind and "reach" for greater skills. I love that your friend came over and that you found items from your stash to create your quilt. This little quilt is indeed YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very interesting reach! This a very good quilt combining several examples of how you are always reaching out to learn more and challenge yourself.
    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara - Your quilt is great, and I really liked the story you provided ! The story was similar to what Gail's quilt "Reach Into My Stash" was saying, and what so many of us do when we're either being really creative, or .... absolutely stuck somewhere in the process of 'building' the quilt :-D Great quilt ... Great story !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been in a few classes with you over years, even Leslie's class, but it so funny how our 'scraps', although the same techniques, they are never alike!
    I love the way you work your textiles together, forming a cohesion and a story. And you never stop reaching. (I have missed our classes together.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt and story behind it. Very inspirational! I also have lots of "bits & pieces" from classes taken over the years that I love, but have not been brave enough to put them together. I will now look at them differently, thanks to the quilt idea that you did not like!

    ReplyDelete