Monday, January 15, 2018

Kathy's Rock Quilt: "Rock Garden"

Rock Garden


So ......   How much FUN was this new challenge !  I had a blast 'creating' this one-of-a-kind "Rock Garden !" 

I was inspired by the "Rock Art !" book I bought so the Grand Babies and I could paint rocks while they were visiting us during the Thanksgiving holidays.   Well...  that project didn't happen, but the book is filled with inspirational art rocks including the picture of the "Rock Garden !"

The hand-dyed ("Rust-Dyed") background fabric was made using already-rusted objects I found in the field across the street from our house.   It seemed just right to simulate a desert-kind of background.  [As an aside, quilting through the dense areas of rust is challenging....  the rust marks really are "rusted metal," and the sewing machine needle(s) didn't particularly care for the "metal-to-metal" challenge !]

The Free-Motion quilting pattern is called "Pebbles."   A "Rock Garden" with Pebbles  seemed to be a perfect combination, and using a 40 wt. Madeira Rayon thread with lots of different colored 'speckles' gives the quilt a "desert" kind of look.

All the pieces for this Rock Garden were "Fussy Cut" from fabrics I have in my stash.  What a joy it was to create this little 12" x 12" garden !









9 comments:

  1. Kathy, your quilt is truly charming! What a great idea--a rock garden quilt. And that book looks like tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, thought about a rock garden quilt, but alas, my Goddess won out. A lovely quilt Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely wonderful. I love rock gardens and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe a rock garden can bring the desert to life. How very nice this one is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rock garden is a really clever interpretation. Your rock garden quilt is pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And bunches of thanks toAlice, our Fearless Leader, who again posted my pictures for me !
    (My computer and I are still having iPhoto issues.... DARN ! )

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many techniques in such a small quilt,! Love the rust, the fussy cut, and the pebbles. Good use of color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painted rocks were a thing when I was young and it is fun to see that it is back. Rock painting is more artist now then back then and your quilt/rock garden is a cute one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really liking your finished piece and your rocking model.. ok, this is now on my play list for Easter break when the St. Louis grands come for a visit. thanks for sharing the book.

    ReplyDelete