Sunday, April 15, 2018

Judy- Mountain Blues

 I struggled with "Blues". There was the natural jazz one, but that wasn't something that I was familiar enough with in my life. I thought of indigo blues which could be done by dying fabric. As I pondered the indigo blue route, the idea of using blue jeans to create a scene really appealed to me.     Recycling and working monochromatic were calling me. Next was the design. Hmmm. Abstract would work. A simple flower and other easy designs popped in and out of my head. When the mountains came in I grabbed it. The first time I saw mountains was in the 1970's. They were the Smoky mountains and they made my heart sing. We lived near the Teton mountains in the 1980's for a short while and drove all over to absorb the majesty of the Rocky mountains. We have continued to head to the mountains and experience their awesomeness.

The small mountain on the right side of the scene, which is the nice royal blue, was cut from the inside of a back pocket. It hadn't faded and I needed that color value. I layered the pieces and needed some contrast so that I could see each mountain. You can decide if those are rivers or clouds in the mountains. Next I fused the edges down and I was ready to quilt.

When I started quilting I did the mountains first. They just needed some simple echo quilting to keep your eye moving across them.  The sky got straight lines to keep it clean. I am working with a ruler to get straight lines quilted and it is working quite well. After that was completed I felt that there needed to be something in the sky to give it some interest and a sun wasn't it, so I quilted a design that looks like some of my doodles.

Enjoy the beauty of the mountains!

7 comments:

  1. What a PERFECT quilt to celebrate the "Blues" ! ! ! I love that you used "used" denim for your mountains, and that the curved and straight quilting lines emphasize the movement and striations that can be found in nature. Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Jealous I didn’t think of blue jeans. Wear them every day. Always wanted to make a blue jean quilt. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using recycled blue jean fabric = perfect for this theme! Who woulda' thought? Brilliant, truly. I love the serene, peaceful effect this quilt leaves with the viewer. I see the lighter blue areas as rivers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfect quilt for this theme - blue mountains and blue jeans - it is a perfect combination. This reminds me that the first mountains I ever saw were the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue jeans! Aren't you the clever one! From one mountain lover to another - I adore this! The Smoky Mountains are where my family is from, and the Rockies is where my heart lies. And the addition of a doodle - just perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - living in the Tetons - what a jumpstart to creating! I love recycling and to see what you have done with recreating creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree: perfect, brilliant & very clever to recycle some of your jeans into a quilt with meaningful imagery, which is visually so calming yet dynamic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete