Sunday, July 15, 2018

Andrea's Wild quilt


Wild Rabbits Running Wild
11"x14"
Whole cloth on cotton, snow-dyed cotton, mono-print, silk-screen and thermofax screen.

Originally I was designing a wild flower-themed quilt, using Queen Anne's Lace ( daucus carota ) wild carrot.  I took lots of photos as the plant is "in season" now and growing everywhere except in my yard where it would be very welcome.  Then, while running errands about a month ago, I was driving home on a road I have driven hundreds of times, but this particular time noticed a sign that changed the creative process in an instant ( I love when that happens! ): SLOW WILDLIFE XING.
This sign is either new or has been there for years and I never paid attention to it.  As I have had the word "wild" on my mind, the sign caught my eye and imagination with an idea that was much more motivating to me than the wildflower concept.  I immediately "saw" giant wild rabbits leaping back and forth across the road.  Like Queen Anne's Lace, rabbits are very much in season now.  I can pull into my driveway most evenings and see at least three munching away on my plants!

I did know that what ever the design, I wanted to include mono-printed imagery using my gelatin plate.  The background started off being just an experiment with a hand cut mylar stencil applying the paint on the plate in various ways using non-rabbit colors for fun.  The more I played and layered the image, the more I liked the result and thought, "what if" I allowed myself to use this experimental piece as the "real thing"?  So I proceeded by layering more imagery using silk screen and thermofax screen methods, and was quite pleased with the result.  When I was ready to add the binding, I thought I would just use white fabric, but happened to have a piece of snow-dyed fabric out for another project, looked at it and realized that it had all of the colors that I used in the quilt and it blended rather nicely.  I then "auditioned" the white, which was too stark.  Another one go those unplanned moments that worked!




7 comments:

  1. Andrea, love it love it love it! Your quilt is so much fun to look at and to discover more and more bunnies! I clicked to enlarge and found even more. I cannot think of a better way to interpret this theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea - What a PERFECT interpretation of our theme ! I love the way your subject 'morphed' into a totally direction (from wildflowers to wild bunnies !) because of the Wildlife sign that caught your attention ! And as always, absolutely LOVE your use of mixed media, mono-printing, stencils, screens, dyed fabs, and of course, the quilted bunnies ! Thanks for sharing :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea - I had fun with your bunnies, too! I also enlarged the piece and kept counting; they almost look like they are tessellated.. that border is so perfect for this. I am glad that you added the road side picture, I never think to add the props that steer me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful design. You always knock me out with your creativity. You have mastered the most difficult processes. Surprised it wasn’t “cat crossing”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable, Andrea! I had a great chuckle reading how you arrived at your wildlife quilt! Being from West Texas where we have real prolific jackrabbits, I got your message instantly. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! This is cute wildlife and it looks like they are in your neighborhood. Thanks for adding the extra photos of the sign and a sweet rabbit (not eating your plants). I love the depth you put into your quilts with the gelatin plate and the screen printing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting. How do you make snow-dyed fabric??? Your whole piece is using techniques I've never done!! I like the transparency.

    ReplyDelete