Saturday, September 15, 2012

Judy S-Ribbon spirals



The truth is that I have been mulling over the word spiral for almost the whole 2 months and only finished it yesterday. What I came up with makes me think of the Olympic event where they use the ribbons in their routine. I love watching the Olympics and hearing the stories of the athletes journey there.
As a little girl I always enjoyed taking ribbons and twirling around with them. They flow and fly through the air to make such wonderful designs. I never imagined it would become a portion of an Olympic event. The funny thing is that when I looked up the color of the Olympic rings they are red, yellow, green, blue, and black on a white background. I didn’t get all the colors right,(no black or white and I added orange) but I did pick out colors that I liked. They look Olympicish right?
My design started in a dream on spirals. It turned out even better then in my dream and was fun to make. I cut a circle out of fabric and then just started cutting into it in a spiral fashion.  Next I laid it on the background fabric making it ruffle as I spiraled it out of the center and pinned it in place. It looked really cool with the pins radiating out from them and I thought I might quilt it that way. Then I started gluing the low spots down and taking the pins out. I liked it that way too. I may add some other touches later, but for right now the ribbons are flowing and making happy ripples in the air.


9 comments:

  1. I love it, it is one of those pieces that you can't resist running your hand over. Not that I would, ok maybe if you weren't looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, what a totally clever idea! Those fabric spirals just pop off the background, and I love the way they curl. It was fun to click on your photo to examine the quilting better, too. The variegated thread was a perfect choice, and the unique quilting design, twisting and turning amidst your ribbons was neat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun piece. I love the "unstructuredness" of it. The ribbons do look like they are floating in the air and the quilting complements them well. Whimsical interpretation of the theme. It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a clever idea, Judy, and I love the rippling spirals that are floating through the background. And the machine quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy little quilt this is. I love the ruffled spirals, as they really do look like ribbons and the quilting compliments the spirals perfectly. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, Hopefully this will be my REAL post. I love your composition and the inspiration from which it came. You really did create the vision of swirling ribbons and yes, it is very Olympicish! (I love others that make up words as I am prone to do so often.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your noting the connection to your childhood and we must tap that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great seeing this quilt in person at the Waco Quilt Guild meeting last Monday. Truly whimsical and fun !

    ReplyDelete