Monday, July 15, 2013

Lois' CELL Quilt

I decided that I would use this theme to explore working with Angelina Fibers.   I literally ironed swirls of different colors of the fibers together again and again,and again,and yet again.  Layering the colors on top of one another.  Then I went outside and burned holes in the patch of ironed fibers where i wanted the parts of the cell parts to come through. It was a little precarious putting a candle under it and quickly stomping out the flames, and the smell was not great, so I did it outside.   I then cut the outside of the patch to the shape of the outside of the large cell and then re burned the edge to give it  more of an irregular natural look   I made two cells this way. The fibers have an iridescent quality to them and I thought that that helped with keeping the cells look fluid like. When I tried to  make them out of fabric, which is how I started, It just didn't work for me.  I've always wanted to try working with these fibers, that Tricia introduced me too years ago, but never had the right project for it. This was it.   I then appliqued it onto a watery looking fabric, and went to town machine drawing all over the cells to get the look that I wanted with different colors of thread and combinations of different stitches, over each other until I got the look that I wanted.  It was a challenging theme, but one that I really enjoyed puzzling out the best way to get where I wanted to go.

11 comments:

  1. What a thrill to return to the blog this afternoon and find your quilt now up! This is simply beautiful, Lois! Like you, I've long "longed" to work with Angelina Fibers, but haven't had the courage or the know-how. You've inspired me to work up my nerve and try them out sometime. The overall effect of the different colors of Angelina, the background, and the many different colors of threads works wonderfully well. Once again, what a superb new member you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring quilt! Makes me want to rummage though my "stuff" to find the Angelina fibers that I bought so long ago and actually use them! I'm glad you persevered to get the look that you wanted as I am really enjoying looking at all the textures that you have so successfully incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting piece. The colors and textures are beautiful and such a wonderful interpretation of the theme. I like it a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fact that you used angelina fibers. I have never really worked on it like that. Cant wait to try you technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lois, you have inspired me, as well, to start playing with my angelina assortment. I can't believe you went outside and burned holes in your work - that would terrify me - but the effect is wonderful. Love all those different colors and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooohhhh, I really like this! I am equally inspired to play more with my angelina fibers. Your fabric choices are beautiful and I appreciate your process description. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of angelina fibers! Evidently you don't have the tool that puts swaroski crystals on or a wood burning tool. The story of the candle was a treat. You did what you had to do to get the neat effect that you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked with Angelina fibers recently and they looked great in a photo but horrible in person. I am glad you had success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your work with the fibers and the iridescence you achieved. I would never have thought of burning the fiber sheet - youv'e highlighted my favorite part of this whole challenge group - the inspiration and format to play with all kinds of techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful interpretation of what is often actully observed under the microscope. There is often a lot of clutter but you designed beautiful clutter!

    ReplyDelete