Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tricia's Quilt--Boston Strong

Boston Strong

I wanted to work with the Boston Strong message. After the Red Sox won the World Series the city planned the celebration parade. The parade stopped at the Marathon finish line. Several players got out of the duck boats and took a Boston Strong t shirt and The World Series trophy and placed it on the finish line.  It was their way of saying we did this for all the victims.   I was not there but the photograph was such a powerful image that I wanted to recreate that image.


I cut out jersey fabric for the t-shirt and stenciled the words on the fabric. I also stenciled the finish line with shiva paints sticks.  I used the suggestion of using a stencil brush with the paints.  They worked much better.  I spray painted wooden skewers with silver paint and glued on the gold foil flags.  Creating the base for the trophy was much harder and I am not very happy with it.  It used  a pie pan, aluminum foil and a hot glue gun. I am not sure how I could make it differently.

I didn't want to finish with just this image. As Boston continues to heal, a garden club decided to plant yellow daffodils all along the marathon route that will be blooming this year and for years to come for the marathon. I have read that there will be 10,000 just at the starting line. I believe that at least 95,000 have been planted along the route.  It will be amazing to see.  I also wanted to include another journal for the daffodils.


I created the three dimensional daffodils using ultra heat and bond with fabric on both sides.  You can mold it when the fabric is warm.

Our city has become a stronger community thru this tragedy. 

10 comments:

  1. Having lived in the Boston area at the time of the bombings, I thought of this concept too. I chose not to use it as my theme but wondered if any of the other Mass Mavens would and I'm glad you did. It did draw the city together and created such a strong sense of community and support that carried over to the Red Sox season. I truly think that helped them win the World Series. I love how you portrayed a very unusually shaped trophy - quite clever of you. Love the daffodils on the other side. I had not heard that this was done. What a beautiful sight it will be for this years marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it did help them win. They wanted to give the community something to celebrate. Ortiz did a lot to unify the team.. His speech about not messing with our city was the starting point.

      Delete
  2. You always come at a topic from a very original angle and there are angles above! You depicted the World Series trophy perfectly w unique materials out of my comfort zone but good for me to see! Thanks for letting us know about the daffodils. Fabulous. Great but tough topic! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Tricia, I am so glad that you chose the Boston Strong event for your quilt! This is truly wonderful. Both sides of your quilt are striking and truly are "eye candy." Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling you would do this! It's just Awesome Tricia. Love the whole thing!!!! Dear to my heart as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your fabric interpretation of the photograph is quite wonderful, and I am so intrigued with your use of the very unusual items to express what you want, with such great results! I had not heard about the daffodils either, they are going to be spectacular.
    Thank you for giving us such a great, inspiring word to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tricia ! Looking at your quilt(s) and then closing my eyes, I could relive both those tragic and triumphant events all over again. You did a fantastic job using graphic images and three dimensional materials that allowed both quilts to speak their stories loud and clear.
    Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wonderful, Tricia! What a great way to depict two events - one triumphant and one tragic. How fitting that you choose this theme for your strong quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may just have to go see the marathon next year to see all the daffodils. Thanks for sharing that, and of course for your lovely quilts. As always!!!

    ReplyDelete