Friday, July 15, 2016

Nedra's Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious - 17 Cherry Tree Lane



Try as I might, this word meant only Mary Poppins to me!!  My favorite part of the movie is when she flies over London and into the Banks' home at 17 Cherry Tree Lane.   For my interpretation, I envisioned a blue sky with Mary and her umbrella descending over the London rooftops.  

 I drew a pattern for a silhouette of Mary and the chimneytops using clip art for reference.  I cut this out of black fabric with fusible on the back.  Using Kaffe Fassett fabrics,  1" squares were assembled to create the background, shading from dark to light blue.  The silhouettes were fused to the background.  I machine quilted along the outline of the silhouettes and machine quilted the background.  If you look closely you will see the theme word stitched in the background !!


9 comments:

  1. I love the execution of your design. The pieced background really brings life to the strongly contrasting silhouettes and I can imagine Mary flying in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very strong design. Silhouettes are hard to use, but yours is in perfect balance with the background. I don't envy you having to cut them all. What tedious work! Great subject matter and brilliant use of color and fabric. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, Nedra! Your mind and mine were moving along the same lines. I must say, though, that your quilt beautifully illustrates this beloved book and film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is fantastic! I love silhouettes and combined with the color is definitely a 'wow' factor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful Nedra! One inch squares - yikes! The background, Mary and the chimney tops are stunning and I love the title! Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you added so much interest with the pieced background. To me it makes it look like the sun is rising as she floats across the sky. Quilting the word in also adds that secret interest when you look closely at it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great background and wonderful execution of the theme. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful piece. I just love the image. the 1" squares and beautiful with the shading and silhouette.

    ReplyDelete