Thursday, July 25, 2019

Judy S.- Tear Memories



Remember your favorite blue jeans getting a tear in it? Or just wearing out? In the 60’s and 70’s the way to repair them was by darning them on the sewing machine. I hated the ugly look of darning, but my daughter-in-law and a friend of hers had me darn some clothing items and they were thrilled. They were just so excited that they could wear their favorite item again. Hmm. Different perspective on the same thing.


Another way we repaired our clothes was by putting a premade patch over the hole. I found the little castle in my sewing room collection of odds and ends. 


We also used a lot of trim. When the pants got too short we would let out the hem and cover the worn edge with trim. If we needed to lengthen them more than that, we would add more trim to the bottom edge of the pants. Tada! We could wear them for the rest of the school year. I remember being surprised that even my cousins who were guys would have added trim to the bottom of their pants. It was the era of bell bottoms and hippies.

The most time consuming way of covering unsightly holes, tears, or stains was to hand embroider on them. Put some fabric on the back to cover the hole and embroider some cute design on your jeans.


I added sashiko to my piece because it fascinates me. I only learned about it through the quilt world, but it is an old technique that helped the poor in Asian countries save their clothing. Without a way to get more fabric to make a new garment or purchase a new one they would put fabric over the hole and stitch it in place. They did a lot more stitching than I did, but it gives you a look at another way to repair clothing.

6 comments:

  1. Judy what a fun quilt! And your narrative was like a delightful walk down memory lane! Thanks for making my day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your interpretation of "tear" Judy! Brings back memories of sitting in my dorm room embroidering and adding trim to jeans. Your sashiko piece is the perfect additional element with such a fascinating history and your quilting brings it all together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interpretation of theme. Like the combo of using different methods to repair tears. Pretty and functional!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great that so many of us can clearly remember and relate to the torn and patched clothing that was so popular "way back" in the 60's ! Great job ! And thanks for all of the details you described in the making of this quilt :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time i visit here. I discovered such a large number of fascinating stuff in your online journal particularly its dialog. From the huge amounts of remarks on your articles, I figure I am by all account not the only one having all the satisfaction here! keep doing awesomeJogo para criança online
    play Games friv
    free online friv Games

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, I am just now seeing your TEAR post! This little quilt is so very clever! Oh yes, I, too, hated darned clothes. But now it is 2019 and the kids love this look. The more tears, the better it seems! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete