Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Kathy's "Whale of a Tail" Tale !

  
OH BOY !     I had a blast with this MM Challenge  :-D

Many of you know I spent 35+ years in Anchorage, Alaska before relocating to Texas 10 years ago.

In Alaska, we were constantly exposed to and aware of the Culture of the "Native Alaskans" that include Eskimo, Tlingit, Haida, Inupiat, and other regional Native Peoples.  

Other well known "peoples" who now inhabit the Great State of Alaska include a very strong presence by the U.S. Military, the United States Government, Explorers, Seekers of Gold, and, of course, all those who are involved in Alaska's other major economic resource often referred to as "Black Gold"  OR  "BIG OIL"  !

Getting back to the Native Culture, of particular interest to me was the Tribal Art associated with the Native Tribes.   Wherever you'd look …  in the Museums, in the buildings that house the Federal, State, and Local Governments, in the Schools, and of course in every gift / tourist shop (!)  you'd be immersed in "Native Art" that's completely saturated with images from Nature.   These images pay homage to the Animal "mascot" for each of the tribes.  [It actually took me quite a while to figure this out !]

When our challenge word "TALE" was presented to us, I reflected back on the Alaska Native Tribal Culture, and chose a "Whale."    More specifically, I chose to present my interpretation of a " 'Whale's Tail' Tale."  

This Challenge Quilt is 11" x 14" and is made of cotton fabrics, and tulle.   The Whale's Tail is appliqued onto the background sea and sky fabrics.   The "Free Motion" quilting represents the gorgeous Alaska sky at sunset, and the ever-moving ocean.    As this Whale dives back into the very deep, and frigidly cold Arctic waters, he churns that water;  his 'splashes' are illuminated by the brilliant sunset that's reflected by the small beads representing water bubbles.

  [YES....  I  MISS  ALASKA !  ]

 

5 comments:

  1. I visited Alaska the summer of 2018 and my #1 must see was humpback whales. We cruised the inside passage in a small boat and were delighted to be surrounded by them. I was ecstatic and your quilt brings back those feelings for me! I think their breaching is so graceful and exhilarating and you’ve captured it perfectly! I particularly love your fabric choice for the sky and the beads are spot on for bubbles! What a great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have been to Alaska and loved seeing the whales. What a clever interpretation of our challenge word, Kathy! Love all the embellishments and, as usual, your stitching is just perfect! Bubbles are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity of this design, so graphic and that means all your lovely embellishments stand out so beautifully! I never thought of the punning that could take place with this theme word! Tale and Tail, of course! As always, a true art quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful treatment with the beads. I also kept thinking of the tail of an animal. Simple graphic effective rendering of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect Tale of a Tail! Love the simplicity of your design which ( as others have mentioned ) really shows off your beautiful quilting and beads.

    ReplyDelete