Friday, October 30, 2020

Nedras Round Table - Arthur's Realm


King Arthur immediately came to mind when round table was named as our theme for this reveal.  I explored other interpretations but kept returning to ideas of knights, swords, Camelot and castles so I ran with that idea.  Tintagel Castle was named by 12th century writer Geoffrey of Monmouth, in his historical account of British history,  as the place where the story of King Arthur and the knights of his round table was conceived.  My piece is a collage of Tintagel, a knight, a crest and a replica of the round table that King Henry the 8th had decorated with a tudor rose and the names of the knights of the round table and hung in Winchester Castle.  The original table was built of oak for a festival to celebrate the betrothal of one of Edward I daughters.   See this site for a picture of the real table and more details.   https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/winchester-round-table

The piece is composed of items that were fused onto stablizer and stitched before attaching to the background.  Normally I stitch after affixing to the background, but I found I prefer to work in this order as it allows more "margin of error".  The background was machine quilted also before I sewed the individual items onto it.  Commercial cottons and silk fabrics were used and embellished with  inktense pencils, stitching, tuille, etc. to create textures and detail.  Braid, beads and crystals finish off the details.  

I really had fun with this theme, although not totally engaged initially!!! 


7 comments:

  1. Oh Nedra, this is just beautiful! That was also my initial thought, but alas, other projects were more important than creating for this theme. I am very impressed with your story and how you created your quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addendum: Thanks for explaining how to stitched each item separately. I have wanted to do so, and now I will! Your quilt is exquisite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nedra - You did a fantastic job on this quilt ! I really enjoyed the background info you provided, and the descriptions of how you assembled this piece. I hadn't thought about using the Inktense Pencils for embellishment, but will keep that idea in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nedra, I loved all the historical research you did before constructing this truly lovely quilt. Like Carolyn, I loved learning about just how you stitched each component before adding it to your quilt. I want to try that technique! Meanwhile, though, thank you so much for all the information you've provided for us! I definitely will follow up by accessing your links!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt. You get a real sense of the knight. Love all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun little quilt. You've so successfully incorporated all the important historical elements so elegantly! Very satisfying enlarging to see all the details you added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the symbols and detail in this little quilt! This is history I would not have looked into and you gave us a great snapshot. The sparkle on the sword and the chains around the edge as well as all the other details really complete the piece.

    ReplyDelete