Sunday, January 31, 2021

Alice: The Majesty of Birch Trees


 I struggled with this theme at first.  All I could come up with was "purple mountains majesty," but I feared that someone else might use that one.  Good friend Linda Hicks, one of our first but now former Mavens, suggested I look up quotations using the words majesty or majestic.  Then she sent me a batch!  I loved one by American writer Washington Irving that says in part: "There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery. . . "

Knowing that New Englander Irving likely often saw birch trees in woodlands near him, I recalled a length of batik that I treasure that depicts birch trees.  (In fact, I've used this fabric twice before in my MM quilts,  for the themes Translate and Boundary.)  

I assembled a background of sky, hills, and foreground using batiks, cutting them freehand and fusing these onto a muslin base.  I sandwiched this background with batting and backing and lightly quilted it.  Then I applied Steam a Seam 2 to a section of my treasured birch tree batik and cut out seven trees.  These I then adhered to the base; SS2 can be repositioned, which is handy when composing, but ironing makes it permanent.  I touched up the trees with black and white Fabric Fun Pastel Dye Sticks.  

For the fall leaves I assembled small pieces of yellow, orange, and tan batiks and began cutting them into "confetti."  This confetti technique Rita Schormann demonstrated to us at our first MM retreat on Nantucket Island.  These had no fusible product applied, but I did apply some SS2 to a few larger cuts and then I snipped these into tiny pieces and stuck them down one by one to be falling leaves.  The confetti pieces I scattered onto the tree tops and the ground.

To keep the treetops and piled up leaves in place for quilting, I covered the entire quilt with white tulle and then free motion quilted through the tulle at the top and bottom of the quilt.  

Once the quilt was finished, I was in a quandary about what to use for binding.  I auditioned many fabrics; all seemed to be too distracting.  Then I remembered a technique I learned in a class taught by Marcia Stein.  I pieced the side edges using the same fabrics that I used for the background, and for the top and bottom edges I used some of the yellow batik.  At last I was content with my woodland scene quilt!



9 comments:

  1. Difficult to imagine you struggled since the quilt is both so serene and alive. WOW You aced it. I love the levels of near far and middle and edges finished in binding of color shifts. Love the latter especially. I felt the majesty. Your essay explaing all the techniques so good. Wow again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I had lots of fun with this one, but as you know, at first I struggled. Thanks to you for the lovely quotation that inspired my quilt!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that Linda's suggestion led to this quilt! I love how you have used the batiks you chose, especially the sky with the blues, turquoise and purple. I can almost hear the leaves gently falling to the ground in your majestic woodland scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Alice, this is such a serene and beautiful little quilt. I love all of these soft colors. I also love birch trees, especially in the Fall. This is a beautiful interpretation of the word, Majestic. Gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Your birch trees are wonderful. I love that you used Rita's confetti technique. I remember her demonstration. Such a fun interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice.... I truly believe this is my FAVORITE of all your MM Quilts ! I lived in Alaska for 35 years, and believe me, the Birch Trees were absolutely stunning (and huge !) You did a phenomenal job on this quilt, and your narrative about the processes you used was both educational and delightful at the same time.
    Congrats on a beautifully perfect Quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to use the snippets of yellow and orange for the leaves. The fabric makes perfect birch trees and your choice of fabrics and colors for the background provide realistic depth. Aren't you thankful for Linda's great suggestion!!! Trees are majestic - I thought about using redwoods or sequoias for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonsoir de France, c'est Très joli, je n'ai encore jamais fait ce genre de technique, chapeau c'est joli !

    ReplyDelete