One side is composed of narrow batik fabric strips in colors reminiscent of sunset lit canyon walls. I used a rust-dyed cotton fabric as the base thinking I’d leave some of it showing through ~ which didn’t happen. Using clear mono-filament top and bobbin thread, I zigzag stitched horizontal lines to anchor the fabric. More ‘strata’ was added with straight stitched variegated thread. Some strips were still not fully anchored so I resorted to machine needle felting a layer of beige tulle over the surface. The result helped but was less than wonderful so I peeled off most of the tulle after the quilt was finished.
|Transfer product and photographic inspiration.|
Although not entirely pleased with this piece, I’m always happy to learn what works and what doesn’t from one challenge to the next. Best of all, I finally put some mileage on my felting machine!