Monday, July 15, 2013

Judy W's: Cellular World



Several ideas came to mind with this theme but part of my goal in whatever I make is trying to use supplies and leftovers from my studio.  The focal point of Cellular World began as a screen print about 5 years ago when Kathy and I were experimenting with fabric art and surface design methods.  I hand dyed a white recycled bed sheet and Dover Publications provided the copyright free clip art from which I made a thermofax screen to print from.  It was some time ago but I believe I used bronze Lumiere fabric paint to silkscreen the image.

Wonder Under fusible was ironed to the backside of the dyed/screen printed fabric, then with pinking shears, the smaller circles were cut from the left over border surrounding the large circle.  Finding a suitable batik background was far easier than laying out a pleasing arrangement of cells.  Thanks to fusibles, the decision was permanent!

Using black monofilament for both top and bottom threads, I free motion stitched all the circles including the dotted batik background.  Overall, I am very pleased with the result, especially since my brain cells seemed to be entirely focused on golf this summer and my dismantled studio has not progressed toward my intended remodel since spring!

12 comments:

  1. This looks cosmic! Love the quilting that you did to give the large cell so much interest. The background fabric is truly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Judy, one of the reasons I went this direction was because my daughter's fiance is into astronomy and I thought he would like to have this quilt. I gave him my Canyon quilt because it reminded him of Jupiter. Also, I knew all the other cell interpretations would be represented and I like Nedra, I try to find a viewpoint less identifiable.

      Delete
  2. Love the machine quilting and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! Love the quilting on the big circle. I have a similar big dot batik that may need this treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed that you were able to use a "leftover" for this great quilt. The stitching on the large cell is incredible. Love the colors as well. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your goal of using supplies and leftover from other projects. I'm most envious of your free motion quilting, especially since you lack a studio and are more interested your golfing this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with others that re-cycling leftovers is fabulous, and to have them turn our so beautifully is wonderful! Your stitching is amazing, and your choices of background absolutely right for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a number of fabrics in that color and you make me want to stop everything to go practice at free motion quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, your quilt is beautiful - stunning colors, great movement, and really good machine quilting! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your thread work. You did a great job using what was on hand without having it all organized for you. I wish I could see this one close up. Enjoy your golfing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, this is wonderful. The colors are what I really, really love. It has a peaceful feeling. And also love the quilting around the background dots. Truly inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe. Just amazing work from a design, color, and stitching standpoint. Wow! Just love it and am so impressed Rita!!!!!

    ReplyDelete