Saturday, March 15, 2014

Carol's Translate



Translate
1. To render in another language.
2. To change from one form, function, or state to another; convert or transform
3. To express in another medium.

I used these definitions of the word translate to create a necklace from fabric. I felt that it would be perfect to “translate” one medium into another. 

I started by using my NEW sewing machine and using some fancy-nancy stitches, created a "type" of heirloom background for the necklace.



The “buttons or beads” were made by using circle templates. Circles of different sizes were made and then combined to create each of the fourteen “beads” on my necklace. In between the large beads I used some small flat tourmaline beads that I just happened to have. I enjoyed doing this piece and found that it took on a life of its own that needed me to continue until I was done embellishing them with different glass seed beads.

So my translation is the idea of buttons changed to beads into a necklace out of fabric.


13 comments:

  1. Wow!!!!! Wow!!!! Wow!!!!!! Fabulous! I would love to see this in person. It looks amazing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, this is so clever that I am wondering what came first, the chicken or the egg....err, I mean the vision of the quilt or the theme word! This is one of the most unique quilts yet in our now nearly two years of the Mavens (!!!!), and what a wonderful addition it is. The intricate workmanship, demonstrating how much TIME you spent constructing it, is truly inspiring. So glad you are in our group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the word came first and I had no idea what to do, but then......
      My previous experience in jewelry making, love of buttons and it just ran away with itself. It took me about two weeks of work - and I am quite pleased with it too.
      Thank you all.

      Delete
  3. What a beauty!!! This is a one-of-a-kind and so skillfully constructed. A very creative interpretation of our word, "translate." Just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Such a unique way of creating Translation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will echo others, I think this is very clever and unique! Have you made a similar necklace that you could actually wear? Looks like you are having a great time with your new sewing machine and that it is preforming the way that you want. I too, would love to see this in person sometime ( MQX perhaps?)
    as I'm sure that all of the intricate details are not visible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse me for being dull, but so you mean the Mancuso show?

      Delete
  6. Clever take on the theme. Beautiful stitching and bead work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cool! That is a great translation and the intricate work is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique take on translate and how lovely it is! The heirloom stitching on the backgound is a perfect foil for the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am offering my voice in repetition - love the work you put into this and the resulting "necklace". What a wonderfully creative way to put a new machine through its paces/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very unique expression of a challenging theme. I just love the way it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, I am a button junkie. If I ever win the lottery I will open a button /independent movie/needlepoint/quilt store and just hand out keys and let my friends shop on their own. Loved it loved it loved it. Oops forgot to add beads to my fantasy store.

    ReplyDelete