Saturday, March 15, 2014

Janet's Translate Quilt: I Love My Euclidian Geometry




A strange title for a little quilt?  Let me explain:  When my son started taking geometry, his first assignment was a paper explaining the difference between Euclidian and Non-Euclidian Geometry.  We spent a week going to the library doing research.  This was before Google; heck, it was before personal computers!  I then spent a lot of time typing said paper and learning something I thought would never be useful to me for the rest of my life

But little did I know that I would, much later, take up quilting!

To translate is a geometry function that quilters unknowingly do every day, unless they taught geometry.  A simple explanation is that it means to repeat a shape without changing its direction or dimensions.  The perfect example of this is the flying geese pattern, if it continues in a straight line without the size of the "geese" changing.  And thus my quilt--several sizes of flying geese continuing past the edges of the quilt in a straight line.

As some of you know, I have been of commission for the last few months, having and then healing from surgery.  And so this could possibly set a record for the longest time spent making a 12x12 quilt!  I would spend about ten minutes or so on it at a time and then go take a nap for two hours. No joke!  I hope to make up for the two quilts I missed, including one for my own theme word--comfort.  That is something I received a lot of the last few months from family and friends, even women I do not know.  Rita and Alice:  thank you for the food and the chocolate and the wine that my husband needed more than you know!

PS:  From Alice:  Because of her continued illness, Janet asked me to post her photo and the explanation of her quilt. 


17 comments:

  1. STUNNING!!!!! Love the colors and the movement, Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, it feels strange to comment on a quilt whose image and explanation I had to see in advance, in order to post for you! But as usual, your precise workmanship, the striking balance of the elements, and your HUMOR come through loud and clear! That you can keep your sense of humor through all of your travails recently is humbling and inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful, Janet. Love the colors and the way you constructed this quilt. We're glad you are still a part of our group. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful quilt. I love the different directions the flying geese go and the colors. I also worked on a math project with my daughter in the 6th grade. They had to find a project that used math. We ended up making a quilt for the teacher that was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great idea - it translates well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating geometry lesson and I love how you translated it so concisely with the flying geese. Even though it took you a long time to produce, what a wonderful result and I am so glad that you have felt
    well enough to "join" us for this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bold and brightly graphic. Dramatic effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exquisite work! Your designs draw me in every time. Love the colors and intricate piecing that you did to create this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel better, and keep up your creativity. Very nice!

    I'm not a quilter, but a math teacher who likes art. With your permission, I'd like to use this photo in my geometry class. Would that be OK? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please feel free to use it. If I had had time I would have assigned each side a letter and had my son write out the equation for the picture, something your class might have fun doing.

      Delete
  10. Dear friend, it is so delightful to see your creativity included this time. An awesome little quilt as you have perfected percise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt - flying geese are my favorite as they do create so much energy and movement in a quilt. This is probably the definition of translational symmetry that I learned. I am so impressed at your being able to piece something so the composition ends up exactly 12 inches square - something I've yet to succeed in. I wish you continued and quick healing and an abundance of energy to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew it out on a piece of 12 X12 graph paper, cut that up and used it for the paper piecing pattern. I love flying geese, it is like a waltz, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3..........

      Delete
  12. THis is a fascinating quilt. I love math and geometry, but I haven't translated it into quilts very successfully. You did a marvelous job on this piece. I hope your health will allow you to continue quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janet, I can't find your e-mail address so I'm hoping you see this comment. I have just read your explanation of the multitude of medical problems you have been enduring all the while, trying to continue to participate in the maven's group!! I am astounded that you have even been able to make any of the reveal deadlines. I don't think I could have done any. I do hope the worst is behind you and that your progress and recovery will be easier and successful!! Bless you for your strength. BTW, your quilts have been great despite your limitations!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Nedra, I have two more surgeries for sure and possibly three so the doctor said plan on being out of commission for the rest of the year. I appreciate your kind words, trying to keep up is what keeps me going when I am having a rough time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Nedra, I have two more surgeries for sure and possibly three so the doctor said plan on being out of commission for the rest of the year. I appreciate your kind words, trying to keep up is what keeps me going when I am having a rough time.

    ReplyDelete