Try as hard as I might, I could not think of anything other than weaving fabric or colors together for this theme. I was determined to do more than that I continued to tell myself. I sketched out a couple in which ideas and fabric wove together to form blocks or a portion of a quilt. I carefully filled them in with colored pencils. These didn’t come out quite as I envisioned however. Sooo instead of fighting it, I embraced the idea of weaving something together, and planned to add other design elements to make it special.
I started with a nine patch, gave it an asymmetric placement and then enlarged it to fit the 12 X 12 dimension. My chosen palette was the secondary colors, violet, orange and green (but I preferred how a blue/green shade of fabric looked so went with it). I wondered if I could add the look of transparency, so I experimented with the placement of different shades of my color choices. When I was happy with the basic layout and color choice and placement, I worked other fabrics and colors into the design. Using bias strips of the blue/green and black/white fabrics, I moved them around until they looked "interwoven" and then machine stitched those in place. I machine quilted with clear thread to accentuate the interweaving and voila we have my unconventional nine-patch!!