Sunday, October 27, 2019

The "Tale" Composite




As I enjoy the art of quilting, I’m fascinated by two things: How many memories are woven into each quilt and why don’t we more often use that fabric to tell those tales.   As I travel to the art shows with Rita, I still wonder, why isn’t the ART of quilting more recognized as truly ART, and the creator[s] more celebrated as truly ARTISTS?

TALE, another round of memories. I decided this composite begged for a different layout, call it a scatter-gram, if you will. One quilt took me down a path I didn’t expect, but it turned out to be a tale. Andrea’s shoes didn’t make any sense at first glance. Then I read the narrative and saw the universal sign of, “Thou shalt not!” and burst out laughing. It even tickled me that “THE RITZ” had “loaner shoes.” I agree with their decision, the shoes they had on were made for walking – out. 

Kathy’s tail of a whale [or should it be whale of a tale] made a good mid-point [read that as focal point.]  Gail, I’m not a cat fancier, but your pets just seem to be sitting on top, keeping an eye on all the tales to be told, of ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties – and Tale [actually a Scottish Prayer] to be told. 

To complete the “circle” Nedra, Carolyn and Alice found the true meaning of, “A Tale to be told.” Each of those squares would make a page in a story book, if someone would just wrap the rest of the story around it.  I never knew any of my grandparents very well so I don’t know what I missed of the old tales. We [and all the family] read and tell stories to our 6-year-old grandson constantly. He now reads the World Book Encyclopedia on his own.
What a wonderful treasure of memories woven into these 6 small quilts.

Thank you, one and all.
PS
The tiny spider is simply because it is Halloween month and I thought you might need a grin.
Randy

5 comments:

  1. You've done it again Randy! I think your "scatter-gram" layout adds to the whimsy of the quilts.
    I'm very pleased that you "got" my quilt and it even gave you a chuckle! Thank you for your continued participation in the MM blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, I thought I had already commented until I received a notice from a fellow Maven that there was only one comment here, and it wasn't from me! Anyway, thanks as always for doing a superlative job with our composite. There's such a nice balance in your arrangement this time. And I love the little spider!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live your thoughts and the scattergram layout. Thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy, once again your skills in graphic design and writing come shining through. Great job - thanks so much, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scatter design. As always you have remarkable insight into our stories. Thank you for taking your time and expertise to do this.

    ReplyDelete