Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Karen's Key..To My Happiness




Key...To My Happiness

The beach is the best! No matter what the weather the beach brings me happiness! 

In the era of recycle/reuse, the landscape is one of a triptych I did for a show a few years ago. 
The landscape is constructed with multiple layers of batik blues for the ocean. 
One pretty batik was all it took for the sky. I quilted clouds with smoke monofilament thread. 
The key hole fabric was cut out and laid over the landscape and used as a pattern to cut the landscape. I used a tiny blanket stitch all around the key hole opening and that quilted the top layer to the quilted landscape.
I cut another to use as the backing, stitched all around, slit the back and pulled through.  
The key is appliqued on top. 
I could use the beach right now!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Karen, so clever and inventive! And thanks so much for all the details about construction! I always love to learn about how these little quilts are mad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very ingenious idea and execution. Isn't your finishing method also called "the keyhole method". Also nice that you repurposed the landscape - sky is beautiful. Unusual shape is a great idea too! Clever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A unique little quilt using a keyhole shape AND an appliquéd key! I like the shape and the fabrics you used. The blues in the ocean make it look real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great interpretation of Key ! I'm especially intrigued by your Key ... To me, it looks 3-dimensional; so real, I feel like I could reach out and touch it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a unique use of a lock & key! I love getting the glimpse of your happy place through the keyhole. Most clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this! The color, concept, composition and the great shape! It really draws me in to look closer at the details you put into it.

    ReplyDelete