Saturday, August 1, 2020

Karen's Bee Skep



Started a while ago for a class sample, dug out and enhanced with more flowers for the Maven's.
Flowers are made from torn, knotted or stitched scraps of batik fabric.
To make the skep, I drew out the shape, cut it into 5 sections. I free hand cut skinny strips of batik and stitched and flipped them onto muslin. Using the 5 sections as a pattern I cut my shapes out the stitch and flipped muslin and sewed them together. 
The bees are needle felted
Bee trails are stitched in using metallic thread.


(I am posting for Karen- Tricia)

8 comments:

  1. I just love the bee skep and all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you used a class sample to "enhance" for this theme Karen. Great 3D flowers and absolutely adore your needle felted bees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! I am speechless! I love those needle felted bees and the 3-D flowers, not to mention the beautiful skep! AND this ignorant Texas learned a new word; I had to look up the definition of skep! Wonderful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!, Love how you made the skep and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this Karen. What a very clever piece you have made! You have given me some great ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting interpretation of "Garden!" Being terribly reactive to Bee stings, I avoid bees at all times, but I was intrigued with the concept of a "Bee Skep" and enjoyed learning something new

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! I love all the details in this quilt. I'm sure it was wise to use the muslin for a base for your skep. Thank you for sharing that. And Oooo those adorable bees and flowers. It is so much fun looking at all the fun things you have on this quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete