Saturday, October 31, 2020

Jane Hartfield’s Roundtable Quilt

 Spinoff


Lately I have been spinning a bit out of control. COVID has kept me at home which gave me plenty of time to create. That was perfect six months ago. However, as time goes by, I tend to get distracted more easily. At times I feel like I just can’t focus. That means I have quite a few works in progress. Spin-off is one that I finished! It was fun to do and moved smoothly from start to finish.I entered it in Quilt National along with Coming Together. Both were rejected. 

At any rate, when a Roundtable begins to rotate and spin, it can throw off bits and pieces which can form new tables. 

This piece started as a mono print using thickened dyes and a piece of silk. I realized it needed more details and definition.
So I started adding paint using thermofax screens and just sponge brushes.
Next I had to start quilting. I added even more paint after that. I used Lumiere metallic paints to emphasize the spirals spinning off. I finished the quilt with a facing.

Happy Spinning!

Jane Hartfield

7 comments:

  1. Jane, I have been most curious about how you would interpret "your"theme! This is a truly creative and beautiful interpretation. Now, for Randy, I need to know for sure which photo you'd like included in the composite. Which one of the bottom two pictured?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, this is an awesome piece ! Abstract yet controlled :-D Don't you just love that we're able to use different media on our quilts ! I remember "way back when" using paint, ink, embellishments, etc. prohibited many of our "Art Quilts" from being accepted into a lot of the Quit Show Exhibits. Great Job :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the depth and movement achieved with the added paint and quilting! It seems to be luminescent. Color palette is unusual and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jane, you are so creative! Sometimes I fell like I am spinning from table to table, never landing for long! You are the embellishment queen with this one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt. The texture created by your quilting is wonderful. The color palate is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to "linger" over and get lost in while looking at your quilt! Rich and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite a transformation from where it started! Love the addition of the Lumiere paints!

    ReplyDelete