Friday, April 30, 2021

Nedra’s Migration -- Loons of True Cove

 John and I became snowbirds 8 years ago when we he retired.  We began "migrating" to Georgia for the winter.  Our summers are spent on a lovely lake in Maine where loons frolic and serenade us nightly with their haunting calls.  Almost 20 of the loons on Lake Cobbessee call our True Cove home.  Losing their gorgeous black and white coloring in October for gray, they begin the journey to the coast for the winter.  Spring comes and with it are the beautiful loon.  An annual loon count is made every summer and includes the number of chicks that hatch.  Gray chicks can be spotted on the backs of the females until they are capable of swimming and fishing on their own. Migration suggested our annual journey as well as the loons.

                         


 My piece is an original block influenced by traditional  bird, geese and swallow blocks.  I choose blues and gray to represent the colors of the water and sky and the baby and migrating loons..   Cotton fabric is machine pieced and machine quilted.  An outline of a migrating loon is stitched in gray in the middle in addition to the straight line quilting.  .

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Nedra. I love the way the water and sky meld together in your pieced quilt. I had to look closely, but I finally "identified" the subtle loon that you stitched into the quilt. I was captivated by your story of the loons at your summer place in Maine. It sounds as peaceful and serene as this little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nedra, Carolyn above has said it all! This little quilt is so beautiful and serene. I clicked to enlarge to see the loon stitch over the surface of your quilt. The colors, the design, and the quilting are all simply superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always admire your color choices and quilting and this one is spot on again! Thank you for sharing your story. It has been wonderful to see how each of us has a personal connection to some kind of migration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your interpretation. The colors are perfect. The machine quilting really adds to your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nedra, your quilt is beautiful. Even sitting at my computer, I can feel the calm and tranquility. Your representation of the birds represents movement and destination, while at the same time presenting "Migration" in a most beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calm & serene were my first thoughts, and just so darn pretty!
    Your stitched loon in the center is perfect. An outstanding quilt!

    ReplyDelete