Monday, February 28, 2022

Judy's Open Books, Open Minds

 


With books being banned in this day and age I’m stunned. I can’t imagine growing up being told you can’t read a book because it was bad. When I was in high school I helped the librarian by typing up cards of the new books for the card catalog. The bonus is that I was able to read the ones I wanted before anyone else did. There were several I chose and was shocked with what was in there, but I got to decide if I wanted to finish reading it or not. If I wanted to learn more I was able to go out there to see what someone else’s point of view was.


I love my libraries and bookstores. They are places that hold so many treasures. When I walk in I just relax and savor my time there. Growing up the little town library had beautiful picture books. As I got older, my favorite books were the little orange books about people like Clara Barton and George Washington Carver. A couple years ago I spent time again in that little library using their internet for researching Missouri counties. From that research I was able to make a quilt block that was chosen to be included in the quilt for the state bicentennial. That quilt was going to be unveiled in a special celebration at the Missouri governors mansion on March 26, 2020. I was going to be there for that but when Covid hit I never got to see it. That year they also made an ornament of my block for the Governors Christmas tree. The sweet thing is that all of my sisters and my Mom were able to see the quilt as it traveled around the state.


The big town 15 miles away had a grand library with a winding marble staircase up to the children’s department. Summers were the best because there was always a summer reading program and you got a sticker for each book you read.


When my husband and I moved to Idaho Falls, Idaho I walked into their beautiful library to find a Christmas tree that was positioned so that it went all the way up to the second floor. Imagine a 2 story tall tree in the center of the library!


I always took my sons and then grandson to story hour here in Waco and Hewitt. It was hard to see the libraries close here because of Covid, but I was so thankful they did curbside pick ups. The libraries did a great job getting story hour online when we couldn’t go. Now story hours are coming back! There is just something special hearing someone read to you.


The background fabric is some leftover from the millennium. I love that it has it written in so many languages. I was just going to put the lightbulb above the pages, but the Hoffman fabric was so bright and vibrant that I could see the joy flowing out of the book.


Enjoy a book of your choice today!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. I just love your book and interpretation of open. The colors leaping out of the book is so expressive. Wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am overwhelmed with your quilt and the story that you shared with all of us. Books. indeed do open us to the entire world, and I share your dismay at their banning. As a teenage, I read almost all of the books that have been banned and am a better person because of what I learned from them. Bravo on a gorgeous and meaningful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, post a photo of the ornament if you can. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This COULD have been mine(although I never thought of it)!!! That is exactly how I feel about books!! The colorful joy and information we experience and learn from books is why I read. We lived far from the nearest library and a Bookmobile came by weekly in the summer. How I would wait for it to arrive with my stack of books to return, and eager to see what treasures awaited me this week!! I still feel the same way when I enter a bookstore!! Great execution and I love your fabric choices. I so enjoyed reading your anrrative too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS And I agree about the banning -- We learn valuable lessons from all!!

      Delete
  5. Judy, this is an absolutely perfect quilt for this theme and these times! As a child and teen I read everything I wanted to read. Not my parents nor did any teacher ever attempt to censor my reading! And like Carolyn I've read almost every one of the books that are currently being banned and every one of them was a book that was beneficial. I love it that you chose this way to interpret this theme,and as always, your quilt is beautiful and eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy,I was hoping/thinking someone would chose to work with an open book as their concept, but your quilt and narrative go far beyond "just" an open book. From the background, to the flipping page, light bulb and "joy", so meaningful and thought provoking.
    I truly missed being able to visit my library when it closed due to COVID and was overjoyed when we were finally allowed to make an appointment to enter for 3/4hr. As of a few days ago, all restrictions have been lifted ( masks optional ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, what an ESTRAORIDNARY Interpretation of OPEN ! And thanks for sharing some of your memories of the Library, the Books you read, and how reading enhanced your life. [When I was growing up (the Oldest of six children) my main job was being the "Care Taker" of all my brothers and my baby sister. Trips to a Library, and having time to read were never a part of my family's priorities. I loved reading your story; your quilt is PERFECT !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, what an absolutely PERFECT interpretation of "OPEN"! The fabrics you used are 'right on" and you got your message across brilliantly ! Great job :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy .... ABSOLUTELY STUNNING ! Super great interpretation of our "OPEN" Challenge !
    (I've tried a couple of times to post a response, but am guessing my computer was taking a break .... ARGHHH! )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this interpretation. Books really do color our world as you so wonderfully depicted.

    ReplyDelete