Monday, October 31, 2022

Judy S.-Bohemian


To me bohemian means color and pattern. But it also means nature, ease and freedom.

I made my little 12” x 12” quilt out of silk sari scraps that you can buy at the quilt shows (especially the Houston Quilt Festival which is going to start this Wednesday evening). They are rather fragile fabrics and are tied up in bunches that are very wrinkled and twisted. Each piece needs to be undone and ironed flat to see where the damage is and if it is even a useable piece.

After they are ironed and sorted I sew them onto a muslin base to stabilize them. I love the luster of the silk.

The piece that I cut in a curved shape is one of my hand dyed fabrics. I stitched it down with black thread and free motion stitched the design of the floral bouquet with the black thread. I sat back and saw that it really needed color to bring it to life on that beautiful background.

Usually I do thread painting using a straight stitch as I free hand it, but I had just finished zig-zagging around the edge and the zig-zag stitch gave the thread work more depth and interest.





5 comments:

  1. So pretty and artistic!! Silk is luxurious and beautiful and provides color, texture and pattern which all contribute to the Bohemian feeling. Your machine stitched addition is lovely and just the right lift!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors!! I think you did a great capture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I love your colors and the stitched flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, Judy. The silk is so yummy and sets off your floral creation. Thanks for sharing how you stitched the flowers - Nice depth of color! Love it, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I truly love this! I am so glad you explained about how to make those bundles of silk usable! I have purchased them and been baffled about how to use them. A really beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete