Monday, October 31, 2022

Nedra's Bohemian - Gaja

 



What a challenge this was!!  Socially unconventional person, especially one involved in the arts, is the definition of a bohemian.  There were so many possibilities to consider; only a limited amount of time for execution!!!  

I went on a trip this spring to the California coast and drove to Big Sur.  The destination was Nepenthe,  the restaurant owned by Bill and Lolly Fassett.  The restaurant has been known for its Bohemian look and feel, belly dancing, and poetry readings and was a favorite of  many from the LA scene.  Hmm, their son Kaffe grew up there and is my favorite fabric and quilt designer whose signature is bright, bold, unconventional prints and his first artistic endeavors were in painting.

An idea started to form.  My first thought was to recreate the gorgeous view from Nepenthe using his fabrics.  While I worked on a drawing and started fabric placement, I quickly realized I would be trying once again to recreate a realistic picture using fused fabrics.  Uhhhh, that's been my MO for many reveals!!!  Instead, I challenged myself to use his fabrics to create a Bohemian inspired but traditionally pieced wall hanging.

Yikes - I have so many Kaffe fabrics to choose from I was overwhelmed!!!  I was eventually drawn to a  gorgeous black floral print.  In my "discovery" process I came across a quilt made using log cabin blocks constructed with irregular sized strips. There was a focus fabric in a bright print surrounded with strips in contrasting colors.  The blocks were cut in fourths and reassembled to create a very random design.  My plan was to use that method and create blocks with the black print and bright and contrasting colors that would achieve an eclectic vibe.  I created a nine patch piece but it was very busy and had no real focus. After much thought, rearrangement and auditioning of ideas and designs,  I decided to add the elephant in complementary colors. (the elephant is fused -- I can't stop myself!!)  Why an elephant you may ask???  When I googled Bohemian images for ideas, a colorful, jeweled elephant was often in the design of a wall hanging, painting or other image.  And it seemed to fit with my own vision of something bohemian.  It was the focus the piece needed!!(the focus fabric for the block centers is used as the entire right hand border.  In the upper left hand border is a complementary fabric of Brandon Mably's, Kaffe's partner).


The piece  is 17" X 22' and is  machine quilted with variegated rayon thread and embellished with beads, crystals and hand dyed yarns and threads.  Gaja is the Sanskrit word for elephant.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it!!! I think bohemian can mean so many things and you captured it wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to use Kaffe fabrics and to actually go to his parents restaurant. That had to be very inspiring. I really like how you put the focus fabric on one side so that we can see what it looks like in all its glory. Your elephant is adorable and the beads definitely give the bohemian feel. Great job! Judy Steward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt especially the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nedra, I have been to Nepenthe long before I quilted and had heard of Kaffe Fassett. It is/was quite a place for artistic rejuvenation! Love that you used the scraps of Kaffe Fassett, and the elephant was a perfect choice. Very, very creative! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, Nedra, this is one of the most beautiful art quilts our group has ever produced! Wow! You likely know that Kaffe Fassett is my all time favorite fabric and quilt designer, he and the others of his cohorts! So it's not a surprise I would love this so much! Congratulations on a spectacular quilt!

    ReplyDelete