Friday, June 30, 2023

Andrea's Luminous Quilt


"Glow"
11" x 14" 
Cotton, Dupioni Silk

How colors can dramatically change when placed next to each other has fascinated me for years.  When I started to think about how I wanted to approach Luminous, I decided I wanted the quilt to be a simple design using only solid fabrics and the title would be "Glow".  The "pop" of silk was added because of the luminous  quality of the fabric ( and I was getting a bit bored with just the greys and greens!!! ).  I think I achieved the glow I was hoping for, but I'm sorry that I did not fuse instead of piece.  That ugly little voice in my head is shouting that my seams are not straight, and there are many wrinkles that should be flat!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, the way colors change dramatically when placed alongside one another is marvelous! I love your concept for Luminous. You absolutely did achieve the glow and I didn't notice any seams that weren't straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! The light gold just glows and stands out so much! Amazing how contrast of colors and placement plays tricks with you eye and perception! I'm very impressed with the turnaround on this one!! Simple, elegant ant beautiful!! Oh and love the touch of purple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful color study. The color interaction is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the abstract simplicity that is the opposite of my notion of quilt. Your color sense is always on target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much SJR! I'm glad your notion of what a quilt is/can be has been challenged.

      Delete
  5. Andrea, this is so perfect for luminosity. I love to play with silk that radiates color. Simple, yet dynamite example of the theme. Perfecto! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete