Sunday, September 1, 2024

Nedra's Refraction - Blue Velvet

 


I did a bit of research about refraction and learned that blue flowers and animals are very rare in nature. Part of the reason is that there isn’t really a true blue color or pigment and both plants and animals have to perform tricks of the light to appear blue. For plants, blue is achieved by mixing naturally occurring pigments, very much as an artist would mix colors. The most commonly used are the red pigments, called anthocyanins, and whose appearance can be changed by varying acidity. These alterations, combined with reflective light can create some spectacular results: delphiniums, plumbago, bluebells, hydrangeas, morning glories, and cornflowers. 

Instead of pigment mixing or alteration, blue is achieved in many animals by making structures that change the wavelength of light or refracting it. For example, the blue morpho butterfly gets it's color from the fact that its wing scales are shaped in ridges that causes light to bend in such a way that the only wavelength that reflects is blue. If shaped differently the blue color would vanish. I thought the butterfly was stunning and decided to depict it for our refraction challenge. 

The butterfly is made collage style and then attached to the background. I used machine stitching, watercolor pencils and paint to add the identifying marks. The background is a batik which I used to make 3 dimensional leaves that are machined stitched. Sticks were gathered from nature to make the setting for the butterfly. It is machine pieced and bound and attached to a canvas. My husband made the sycamore frame. I very much enjoyed creating this piece for our final reveal.  I compared it to my first reveal and realized how much my creative process has improved!!  I must thank Andrea for inviting me to join this group and for Alice who was our original and fantastic leader!!

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous interpretation. The information you found about blue in nature is fascinating. Your butterfly is wonderful. Thank you for being our leader in this last section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nedra, this quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I learned so much in reading your narrative, too Thanks for creating such a lovely quilt and for acting as an instructor to those of us like me who were puzzled about just how to represent this theme! You are a TRUE art quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nedra. You have been a very patient leader for this last segment of The Material Mavens, and I thank you for all the time you put into your role. I adore the color blue in nature and am always hunting for blue plants to add to my garden each season every year. Sometimes I have to lean into the light purple selections, but I call them "blue" to satify my need! Your butterfly is gorgeous and I am so pleased that you added sticks from nature. Thanks for sharing what you learned about blue in nature and for choosing the word, "refraction"! I learned so much! Keep in touch and know that we appreciate you. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was completely "gobstruck" ( Ha! I just googled and that is a British term!!! ) when I saw your quilt Nedra! Stunning. Then I read the info and was even more impressed. With all the definitions and images I looked at for Refraction, I never read anything about the refraction process making other colors appear blue in nature, but I'm glad you did! I love everything about this quilt, from the 3 dimensional butterfly, to the "push & pull" of the different color leaves to the incorporated twig! The frame sets it off and compliments it perfectly. What an amazing quilt for the very last one!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete